Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Recovering turtle deck, HELP!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Recovering turtle deck, HELP!

Old 01-09-2004, 10:44 AM
FreedomFlier
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovering turtle deck, HELP!

OK, I got a crashed unit I am trying to bring back to life. (60 Size Kanke GS300 Staudacher) My goal is to cover it like the 1999 Red-n-White Lap Map unit. I am fairly new to covering. I can cover wings, trainers and "sticks" pretty good, but I have now experience with round sheeted turtle-decks with stabs glued in.

I have been researching this a little. I understand I need to go bottom to top. I was planning on using the "two piece" method. I should probably do the interior of the canopy first. Then do 1/4" to 3/8" fillet strips around the vertical and horizontal stabs. Not sure on how to provision cut outs for the stabs. Especially, when the covering will be stretched and shrunk during the application process. I can’t pre-cut the slot can I? I need to tack it all down at the bottoms, then cut a slot for the horizontal stab..????

Can anyone recommend any online photos etc…?? Any other advise, tips, or techniques are welcome.

Please HELP!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:28 AM
cde0214

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recovering turtle deck, HELP!

Are the stabs already in place? If so, I would cover the area between the stabs first with seperate pieces, and cover the turtledeck in one complete piece. I just got finished with a somethin extra and thats the only way I could get to turn out nice. I would also advise you to try covering from the top down, It was much easier for me to the covering to lay down good and flat that way. I cut one piece to fit the whole deck, started at the top in the center, and pulled the covering tight before tacking it at the bottom. I went over the whole deck with a heat gun and it laid down very nice. I ruined three pieces of monokote trying to go from bottom to top! Make sure you cover between the stabs first so your seam will be facing the rear of the plane, and also allow at least 1/8 inch of overlap on the seams. Do all of this before you cover the fuse, and you can make you seam straight on the side by cutting the fuse piece straight. Hope this helps!