Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lateral balance on a profile fun fly

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lateral balance on a profile fun fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 08:37 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lateral balance on a profile fun fly

I'm finishing up a Tower Extra Special (similar to Fun 51) kit. The kit is built, covered, engine and radio equipment are mounted and I'm doing the final lateral balance. The directions say to balance while supporting the engine shaft and center of the tail.

It seems to me that this is not the right method for a profile. The engine is offset from the centerline of the airplane because the mounting ears of the engine sit on the fuse profile. Also, the engine is slightly tipped to the right purposely for right thrust. A straight line between the engine shaft and tail center would not go through the center of the fuse!

I would have to about an ounce of weight to the right wing to make it balance using the engine shaft and tail. But if I balance it using the centerline of the fuse beneath the engine and the tail center then it balances perfectly without any weight.

Anyone have opinions or experience on this? Am I thinking too much?

Thanks-
Old 05-22-2002, 10:51 PM
tbzep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it makes a lot of difference becaues you will seldom if ever fly that rascal straight and level.

I balanced my Fazer by the spinner just like the instructions stated. At about half throttle, I can trim it for wings level, then firewall it or drop to idle and the torque difference causes a wing to start dropping ever so slightly. I noticed it with my Somethin' Extra also.

Tim
Old 05-23-2002, 06:52 AM
funfly1

i had an extra special once but like all good profile funflys it got broke in half.anyway,just flip it over and put one of those small threaded hooks in the bottom of the fuse at the CG.hang it from a sting.you should be able to balance it both ways at one time.always start a little nose heavy for the first flight.

good luck
glenn
Old 05-23-2002, 10:52 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Originally posted by funfly1
just flip it over and put one of those small threaded hooks in the bottom of the fuse at the CG.hang it from a sting.you should be able to balance it both ways at one time.
good luck
glenn

Exactly!