Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What covering iron is good out there?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What covering iron is good out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 09:39 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What covering iron is good out there?

There are lots out there. Any one work especially well? The adjustment dial on mine broke so I need a new one.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-15-2004, 09:43 AM
hnesitd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What covering iron is good out there?

I've used the Coverite model for years. It has an adjust for the heat and seems to work very well. I also find a Trim Iron very useful on corners and hard-to-reach areas.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:17 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the Coverite. It ain't cheap, BUT, it holds the temperature within a few degrees. The $15.00 variety will vary by as much as 20 degrees either side of set point.

Les
Old 01-15-2004, 10:47 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the CHEAPEST ones for many many years. They lasted about a year. I would get two maybe three planes out of them before they would melt or the heating element would break. I bought a 21st Century one and it is by far the best one I have had. The temps stays were you set it and does not change while you are using it. The temp knob is not sticking out there like some of the cheap ones, so there is less chance of it getting hit and changing the temp settings. The sock made for it fits very well also. It fits better then the Mono. one I had in the past.

Dru.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:57 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I'm going to order the Coverite 21st Century then. I appreciate all of your help.

Joe
Old 01-15-2004, 12:14 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the TF ones for years. Ordered the coverite one and used it about 4 times and the handle broke. I was ticked, but I ordered another and it has been running for about 7 years and many planes now. I like the temp control on it better than the TF. I ordered another just as a spare about a year ago. They are nice.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:20 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started, I just got the the TH heat gun and iron package. The iron is ok, but it sometime leaves misterious dents and lines on the covering. I recently got a Coverite iron. This is a lot better and has a unique tip shape that gets into corners that a standard iron won't...