Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 09:21 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Question

I'm trying to cover a model in two different colors on the top and bottom halves. My hitch right now is trying to figure out the middle line for the leading edge of a full symetrical wing. Any tips on how to do it?

Chris
Old 01-22-2004, 10:38 PM
aimmaintenance

Default RE: Covering Question

I've always just used the trusty old eyeball.
1 tip is to run your TOP half a little over your bottom. (top going around and about a 1/4" over the bottom.)
Something I like to do is a trim strip of a 3rd color overlapping both on the leading edge. (adds a detail to it that I just like and is pretty simple to do.)
It's a great way to use that chrome or gold monokote that really catches the eye.
Bottom is white and my god I have alot of clover in my yard!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49499.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	93338  
Old 01-22-2004, 11:46 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: aimmaintenance

I've always just used the trusty old eyeball.
1 tip is to run your TOP half a little over your bottom. (top going around and about a 1/4" over the bottom.)
Something I like to do is a trim strip of a 3rd color overlapping both on the leading edge. (adds a detail to it that I just like and is pretty simple to do.)
It's a great way to use that chrome or gold monokote that really catches the eye.
Bottom is white and my god I have alot of clover in my yard!
Nice looking plane. I wish my yard looked like that. I live in Florida and my yard is a big ant hill. Every type ant imagineable, but mostly fire ants. I spread several bags of ant killer on the yard this summer and the ants just laughed and put the ant killer in a big pile on my porch. I have a couple blades or grass in between the hills and sand.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:57 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Come here to TX and get some of this Andro stuff. It takes the fire ants right out. (and they come back in 2 weeks so you can kill more )

I avoid putting a seam ON the center of the LE. I feel its asking for the covering to lift and blow the wing open. if you do it... add a layer of clear over the leading edge to move the seam edge back an inch or so.

Cover the bottom of the wing, wrapping to the top of the LE stock at least 1/4 inch back from were your seam will be.

If its not a tapered wing... place the wing on a flat surface. Block the trailing edge up so the wing is level. (0 AOA compared to the tabletop)

Select a piece of 1X2 or other material that comes up to the centerline of the LE. (you should have the idea now) use that stock as a guide to draw a line on the LE with a water based felt pen (Vis-A-Vis markers for overhead projectors are GREAT)

How to cut off the covering and get that straight line... PRACTICE.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, I like to wrap the top covering around the LE so the seam is facing with the airflow.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:36 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Ditto, I like to wrap the top covering around the LE so the seam is facing with the airflow.
Same here. Also, I have a way to cut a perfectly straight line that is parallel to the leading edge. If I'm covering the top, I turn the wing so it is standing on the leading edge with the bottom of the wing facing me. Put a long straightedge on the covering and lay the wing down. Cut the covering and it will give you about 3/8" that goes around the LE on to the bottom of the wing.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually cheat:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70994.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	93420