Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting while Raining Outside????????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting while Raining Outside????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 12:34 PM
CadFlyer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting while Raining Outside????????

I was wondering what the outcome would be if I were to attempt painting my Ziroli Corsair with PPG Omni paint while it is misting rain outside. It is about 60 degrees outside presently. I was thinking of painting in my garage. I am not a painter nor do I know much about painting other than how to mix & spray it.
Thanks
Cadflyer
Old 01-24-2004, 12:48 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Painting while Raining Outside????????

I am not sure about the specifics of your paint, but I have always been under the impression that paint is sensitive to humidity. I would check with the paint store to be sure.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:51 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Check with your local auto body shop. Thepaint all year around. I think if the humidity is what matters. Just might take alittle longer to dry is all.
NEDYOB
Old 01-24-2004, 01:26 PM
FHHuber
Banned

It depends on the paint.

Nitrate and Butyrate Dope... don't paint when its raining or it will "blush" (be foggy, maybe to the point of turning black into white) If you have this happen... wait for a warm, low humidity day and spray the model with some acetone (carefully... don't want the paint to run) you may have to do 3 or 4 light mistings at 15 min intervals. Then let it sit for at least 4 hours without being touched. (and remembe that Dope keeps cureing and shrinking for YEARS.

Latex just takes longer to dry when its humid.... no problems really.

Read the paint label... follow the manufacturer's recommendations. If it says humidity is a problem... don't paint when its raining.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:59 PM
blacvet
My Feedback: (1)

Cadflyer, If your spraying Omni paint which is a product of PPG paint it is Ok to spray when there is humidity or rain present.The old laquer and thinner paint systems is were the problem in painting with humidity,it caused the paint to "blush,a whitening of the paint when appplied.I presme your using omni basecoat (color)clearcoat.I usually spray at about 35 lbs with an HVLP gun(high volume low pressure)but it dosn't matter your paint won't blush,and the type of gun doesn"t matter ,Spray painting in the rain actually is better with omni or any other urethane paint is good because it keeps down the dust.I have a body shop and been spraying 25 yrs.(cough,cough).Ihope this helps you good luck. Carl