Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fueling Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fueling Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
wilinfla
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling Question

I just purchased an OS 65LA with the remote needle valve. I have it set up for a fuel tank with 2 lines (pressure & fuel). My question is can I fuel it through the line that goes from the needle valve to the inlet valve on the engine? The line that goes from the needle valve to the tank is in a very difficult place to reach. I just wasn't sure if you could fuel back through the needle valve. Thanks
Old 01-26-2004, 02:52 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Fueling Question

You probably can fuel it back through the needle valve but it will take away a lot of your flying time. Why not use the third opening in the tank cap and rig a fueling inlet? Remember the needle valve only allows small quantities of fuel through to the engine and if you reverse the process that will still be true. Using the third line for refueling is probably the best way and will not be too difficult to rig. Just remember you must be able to close it before flight or it will throw fuel all over the place.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:09 PM
wilinfla

How about if I fuel through the muffler pressure line? I can see the tank with the wing off and I could stop before it's full. Everything is in place and it will be a pain to remove the tank and put in a third line. What would you use to seal the third line?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:04 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Well... you MIGHT be able to fill wth the muffler line... but it will be a mess. Generaly, you would just push the fuel straight thhrough to the engine... not fill the tank. if the clunk lne is stiff enough... you can point the airplane's nose straight down and then the fill via muffler might get you 3/4 full.

Just put in a loop of extra fuel line between the needle and tank. Hook the extra line with a bent wire to pull it up, and have a coupling in the middle of that.. you can fuel from there. Just 2 or 3 inches extra fuel line culd make things much easier.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:54 PM
wilinfla

Thanks for the advice, I think I will just reposition the remote needle valve to the side instead of the top. I will have to cut some more cowling out, but that seems like the best way to go. That way I can reach the fuel line and disconnect it from the needle valve for fueling. I geuss I should have done that in the first place.........
Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 PM
freebird25

do you have room for a remote fueling valve? that would solve all problems it sounds like
Old 01-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option is to cut the assy. of the back plate and mount it on the firewall where it's easier to get at. Done that on a few of them.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:24 AM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Another option is to cut the assy. of the back plate and mount it on the firewall where it's easier to get at. Done that on a few of them.
yes... you can mount the needle assembly to the firewall instead of on the bracket on the backplate.

Some engines this means sawing the needle body free of the the engine's backplate (voids the engine warrantee) and drilling a stub of the backplate casting (left attached to the needle) for the screw to mount it. I have done this with needle assemblies broken off of engines in crashes with no problems. (I haven't sawed one off that hadn't broken off...)

A remote needle can easilly be 2 head diameters of fuel tube away from the carb with no adverse effect. excess tube between the carb and needle leads to problems with rapid throttle transitions... if you slowly move the throttle, the needle can be a LONG way from the carb. if yuo put a remote needle in line with a carb that has a needle built on... you can leave the needle on the carb 1 to 1 1/2 turn extra rich... and adjust with the remote, then the remote needle can be just about anywhere on the airplane. (though its kind of dumb to have it on the rudder)
Old 01-27-2004, 06:44 AM
wilinfla

Thanks for the help! I ended up just turning the needle valve 90 degrees so that it points straight out. This now gives me access to the fuel line. I didn't have too cut into the cowl too much either, it's not a scale model so it really doesn't matter. I should have known beter when I first hooked it up, oh well, live and learn...........