Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 09:15 PM
freebird25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!

Question for you plane buffs. I've got a friend that has a 25% Edge 540. It is about 2 years old. He loves the plane. It flies great..other than if he pulls hard on the elevator..it will snap out of the loop. When I asked him why it does it..he just said it always has. Is it just a fact that some planes snap when too much elevator is applied? Is it something that you can correct through CG movement, or something else. It does have a servo on each elevator half. Could they be slightly at different points thus causing funny stuff to happen? I guess my question is can this be fixed..or should we just keep flying it as is.
Thanks for any response
Old 01-26-2004, 09:58 PM
radcon56

Default RE: help!

My approach to this would be to make small changes first and only one change at a time so you isolate each adjustment and identify the results of each adjustment. Then if the adjustment has an undesired effect it will be easy to readjust back to where you started.Hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:01 PM
freebird25

so it is something that can be worked on?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:23 PM
radcon56

I guess the old adage applies: you won't know unless you try. check recomended throw from the manufacturer on the elevator. I also have a split elevator,so I take two sticks of balsa that are wider than the elevator.Put one on top and one on the bottom and band them together so they hold the surface flat. Then I center the servos.I bought a throw guage at the hobby store for 12 bucks but, you could hold a square up to the elevator to measure it. Generally, more is not always better. I realize that your elevator probably isn't flat cause it's an edge.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:10 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Snapping out of a loop means... too much elevator is being used. Tell him to not pull quite so hard and make bigger (prettier) loops.

You take a plane that stall at 30 mph in level flight and stall it at 90 mph by pulling too hard on the elevator. (you'd rip a wing off in most full sacle airplanes doing that...) A model doing a tight loop loses a lot of airspeed and pulls a lot of G force. Right at the top of the loop is the most common place for a plane to snap out if you are pulling too many G's
Old 01-27-2004, 04:02 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly right as usual FH.

freebird,
The only ways to prevent this is to either use less elevator, or dial some out at the control horns.
Dennis-