Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I want to build but not fly...YET.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I want to build but not fly...YET.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 04:37 AM
SpeeDFX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to build but not fly...YET.

Hey guys, I dont know how to fly radio controlled airplanes YET (I crashed my trainer into a wall at the end of the runway the first time I tried to take off by myself, but that's another story.)

I'm very interested in building models of planes, particularly warplanes like the F4U Corsair and the P51 mustang, preferable ones with at least a 50 inch wingspang just because I enjoy building things. I have a few questions. I've never built any model planes before and I want to know what kind of tools I need to build these wood kits? Are there any sources online that can help me read plans (I've never done it)? I also wanted to know if these r/c kits on the market are ok to be fully built without any electronics on them. For instance if I want to build a mustang completely (without electronics in it), will I have to damage it when I finally want to put an engine and electronics in it or is it easy to put those in?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:12 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: I want to build but not fly...YET.

Tools... at a minimum a good hobby knife and sandpaper. (lots of sandpaper, from 80 grit to 800 grit..... sometimes 3200 grit)

You really learn the techniques needed for the comlex kits best by starting with simpler kits. It is not a good idea to jump straight in and have one of the Top flite Gold edition warbirds as the first thing you build. The probability is... you would end up with a heavilly bult, yet still weak aircraft that is not straight.

You want the best chance of building success without starting on an AMA delta Dart? (a small rubber power FF model we like to give to Cub Scouts) Yo want to start with a good easy to build trainer such as a Sig LT-40. Actually, the Sig Four-Star 40 is easier to build than the LT-40, but its not quaite as good as a trainer. (though it can serve as one.) Introductory level kits tend to have buildig tips in thier instructions. These two have some of the best tips and instructions you can find. (and a full list of the correct tools to do the job right.)

Youcan build any R/C model aircraft and not install the radio or engine. If the kit is assembled properly... you can easilly put the radio and engine in whenever it becomes convenient for you. If you have several planes and just one engine and radio system... you can move the stuff from plane to plane, as long as the engine is appropriate size for the airplanes... and the servos are the correct power for the airplanes there is no real problem with it. (well there is increased chance you will make a mistake when swapping the stuff arond than if you had it left in the airplane after it had been flown...)
Old 01-27-2004, 11:16 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

The toughest part of later converting a Mustang or Corsair from wall-hanger to flyer are the aileron and flap servos. You will need to pre-plan by having a pull string already inside the wing before you cover them. That way you can cut the cover away later and make servo hatch covers and pull the servo leads with the string. No problems with the rudder and elevator by cutting pushrod exit slots later.

There are several good books on basic RC plane building, covering and RC engines. Harry Higley, I believe offers a set.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:50 PM
iflynething

go to www.airfieldmodels.com and look around.....this guy has alot of info on EVERYTHING...lots about building and the tools required....if you have a question his screen name on RCU is CafeenMan..I'm sure he would be more than happy to help you out.....
Old 01-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Alliot

SpeeDFX, you are a beginner to R/C model flight. The first thing you should is to learn the basic aerodynamics instead of building a model airplane. Trying to figure out the type of mistake you made on your first attempt is very crucial. It saves you a lot of money and time. Know the basics of turning and landing an R/C plane. For beginners, flying skills are more important than building skills. As you can fly on your own, then it's time to learn how to build a model from scratch. The point is that learn to fly first; then, learn to build.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:27 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Beg to differ. I started building stick and tissue tow-line gliders and CL back in the mid 50's and didn't get my first RC unit till 1960. Some people like to build more than fly. A person needs to learn and practice building skills more than just glue wing halves together and call it building. I'd suggest starting with a plane like the House of Balsa P-51 to practice with instead of spending too much on the 50 to 60 size planes.
Do a lot of reading from the books I mentioned earlier and follow step by step. Study the plans along with the instruction booklet in the kit and it will come clear how each of the pieces fit together and what sequence. Don't be afraid to make mistakes -- we all have.
I've been building since I was about 10 yrs. old and 35 yrs as an Architectural/Engineering model builder. It just came natural for me to visualize plans into 3D. Some people have a harder time. As I said, take your time and study thru and it will come clear to you.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:46 PM
CafeenMan

I agree with what rreiss said. Building is fun and I definitely enjoy it more than flying. You should start with projects that are within your capabilities so you don't get discouraged and quit. There are a lot of little nuances to learn and the only way to learn them is by doing. You can read my site top to bottom and every book on the market as well as every thread here at RCU, but until you get balsa dust on you, you can't really know how to work these materials effectively. Too many people start out with too difficult of a project and end up really frustrated.

Fortunately, most of the modern sport kits are very easy to build. The only thing that makes some more difficult than others is the detail of the instructions. When you move to scale kits, they start to get tougher, plus you want them to look really good, so you hold yourself to a higher standard.

Best of luck,

Paul
Old 01-27-2004, 09:37 PM
phread59

I agre with the above posters. Try building a good SIG trainer kit. You will get a lot of necessary skills from that. And SIG always gave a lot of dtailed info in their trainer kits. I do not know if they still do they used to include a small pamphlet on building and flying model aircraft in thier kits. There was a wealth of information in those booklets. I would start there and build up from there. Do a few sport style kits before tackling a sale build. the lessons learned will be invalubale in later persuits.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Great Planes PT-20 and PT-40 are probably easier to build than the older SIG kits; Senior and Seniorita.. the instruction books are superb, and sensibly powered the planes are easy to fly.
The SIG LT-25 and LT-40 build quickly and fly well.
The heavy-metal stuff comes a lot later in a flying career, when the perils of high wingloading are understood.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:19 AM
easyd

I agree with Cafeenman. I returned RC after about 30 years. I got one of the GP kits and quickly discovered that my building skills were not up to the level needed to produce a good scale aircraft. So I have put the scale kit on hold and will work on easier kits until I am better able to build it the way I want to.