Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

alternate Tx batts

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

alternate Tx batts

Old 01-29-2004, 09:23 PM
ganu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternate Tx batts

I have an older Hitec radio that I've bought second hand. It has a 9 cell batt pack in it but I do not have a charger for the 10.8 volt pack. The manual that I got from hitec said that the radio would come with either an 8 or a 9 cell pack but the manual was a general manual for 3 different models (4,5, or 7 channel; I have the 7 channel). Here's my question: Can I get away with using new 8 cell pack? Does that only reduce the range? Have not contacted hitec but it may come to that. Just curious.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:31 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: alternate Tx batts

Make a pack up from individual cells. (or have one made...)

The TX is FCC rated for having a given voltage range applied to the RF board. Changing that voltage could be a serious problem to the tuning of the radio. Don't mess with a low voltage pack.

It is PERFECTLY FINE to make your own battery though. I have an 8 cell pack (as per original) in my Futaba Super 7 made from Ray-O-Vac 1800 mah NiMh cells. I just about can't run out of TX power at the field. Fairly simple to make the pack and cost me all of $18. (swiped a 3 wire connector with wire from an old computer... fits perfect in the Futaba plug and has heavier wire than the original. Radio South thought it was great. (sent the TX in for a switch repair. Radio South does good work. plugplug)
Old 01-30-2004, 06:53 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Contact Dave at Radical RC.
Hw will work with you in getting the right pack
www.radicalrc.com
Old 01-30-2004, 02:06 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Your original 110v wall charger will work fine on 9cells.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
JR Rules!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:38 PM
SkyDude

I second the RadicalRC.com idea. I've bought several batteries, servo leads and switches from him and they get to me within three days of the order.

I would definitely replace the pack, whatever size you choose. Note the Tx model # and peruse the hitecrcd.com website, or maybe the guy at RadicalRC can recommend something.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:04 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Note... some packs LOOK like they are 9 cell... and have a DUMMY in the pack. This was common in some Futaba radios in the late 1970's and rearly 1980's.

Pull the old pack apart... see if there is a dummy. (it will be obvious once the outer shrink-wrap is off.)