Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Selling models

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 08:41 AM
ksechler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling models

I am considering selling some of my models, but before I go into details let me make a disclaimer. I am not trying to get free advertising with this post. I intend to try to sell the model locally, and then, if I decide to sell on line I will take an appropriate ad out here so RCU can get compensated. The problem is I don't really know what to ask for the model. The plane in question is a GP Super Decathalon. I would be selling the airframe only. It was crashed once, but as you can see from the photo it was fully repaired.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45597.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	96915  
Old 02-03-2004, 10:45 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Selling models

Is this a 40 size from a kit? From the looks of the plane, and counting the fact that it's been crashed (even if the repairs are perfect), I'd say in the $100 to $125 range at best. If you want to sell it quickly, more like $75 to $100.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to get even the price of a new ARF for a used kit built plane unless it's immaculate. []
Dennis-
Old 02-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price you ask is up to you. But what someone else is willing to pay for it will sometimes cause you to keep it.
The model looks great and seems to be in good repair. We just recently had a swap meet in our area and I sold a couple of models. Both had a far amount of wear. But they hadn't been crashed. Sold them cheap to move them out.
Is this model a kit or an ARF?
If you built it, modelers will sometimes be willing to give you close to what you feel it's worth. Especially if it's in good condition. Arf's are a different story.
Not knowing the size of the model, here's what to consider when pricing!
How old is the model!
How much flight time does it have!
Size of the model, i.e. .40, .60, 1.20 etc.
Are there any competing models for sale this size, include ARF's !
And anything else you want to consider.
Let face it, you may not get back what you put into it. But you can get something out of it.
Deciding on the price can be hard. And not being able to handle it myself I couldn't give you a price that you might like.
[&:]
Old 02-03-2004, 11:24 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tend to cruise the sale forums, auctions, ebay and other sites as well to see what people are asking for kits and planes. You can set any price you like, but as stated, if it is too high, most won't make an offer, they just walk away. Prices vary greatly by quality of the plane. Do some research, see what others are bringing and then set the price acordingly. Good luck.