Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

hinge installation

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

hinge installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 07:16 PM
mmiller1
My Feedback: (75)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hinge installation

I am building a profile plane I picked up at our Expo a few weeks back. This is a kit build. I am having problems cutting different densities of balsa for hinge placement. I purchased a Dubro Hinge cutting tool but you have to sort of rock the blade back and forth going through the guide slot. After withdrawing the tool, it was quite bent up. This tool does not work on denser forms of balsa. Using an exacto knife is not to "exact" either. Is there a thin cutting wheel that can be attatched to a Dremel tool to 'slot' out the opening for either DuBro type hinges or CA hinges.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:44 PM
phread59

Default RE: hinge installation

I do not think so. Great Planes sells the slot machine. It should do just fine. How about switching to Robart Hinge Points? You only need to drill a hole and countersink the head. One thing with the dremel is to use a cut off disc. It will probably make a lot of smoke so try it on a spare piece of wood. And cut it outside. Best of luck.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-10-2004, 11:23 PM
kdheath

I let myself be talked into a Slot Machine. Now I won't be without it. I don't especially like Great Planes as a company, but this thing is a winner.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:30 PM
FHHuber
Banned

There is not a really good wheel for a dremel to cut the slots. there is an appx 1.2 inch dia circular saw blade for it... but its expensive and fragile. (if it weren't fragile.. it would do it...) You'd have the same problem as you had with the power slotting tool.

Probably... you pressed too hard. The power hinge slotter will slot spruce if you don't use excess pressure. (harder than almost any balsa...)
Old 02-11-2004, 06:50 AM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: mmiller1

I am building a profile plane I picked up at our Expo a few weeks back. This is a kit build. I am having problems cutting different densities of balsa for hinge placement. I purchased a Dubro Hinge cutting tool but you have to sort of rock the blade back and forth going through the guide slot. After withdrawing the tool, it was quite bent up. This tool does not work on denser forms of balsa. Using an exacto knife is not to "exact" either. Is there a thin cutting wheel that can be attatched to a Dremel tool to 'slot' out the opening for either DuBro type hinges or CA hinges.

I used the same tool to cut two slots in 5/16" dowel rods. You have to take your time and rock the blades slightly. I'm sure that I significantly dulled the blades, but my slots are ready to hinge.