Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

TRIM OR MOUNT ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

TRIM OR MOUNT ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 11:20 PM
notenoughtime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRIM OR MOUNT ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED

I have a GP super decathalon and in order for level hands off flying I end up with some noticeable up elevator at most all throttle settings. If everything was perfect wouldn't a plane with all control surfaces level with airfoils and stabilizers fly straight and level. The plane seems to fly good once trimmed. The wing has an incedence of 0 when the horizontal stab is level. I was wondering if I could shim the bottom of my motor mount (adding a little up thrust to help pull the nose of the plane up) to help with the trim situation. Ground handling is not real good either. When the tail comes up I have to give up elevator to keep the prop out of the ground. I think it all has to be related.

I am not sure if I was clear on my problem but for level flight my elevator is pitched up noticably a lot more than my trainer was when trimmed for level flight.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:32 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: TRIM OR MOUNT ADJUSTMENT REQUIRED

visit www.nsrca.org see thier aircraft trim table.

Remember... if it is not a symetrical airfoiled 0-0-0 design, then the table will be off a little in the dive tests. EXPECT a flat bottom airfoil semi-scale Cub to pull out of the dive on its own fiarly quickly as speed builds. That Decathalon... should be close to the chart.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:27 AM
notenoughtime

thanks, I will test according to chart
Old 02-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nose heavy plane will do this also. Try moving the CG back a bit to see if it straightens out. Another way to tell if it's a CG problem is wether it takes a lot of down elevator when flying inverted. Should take very little.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:26 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The GP Decathlon has a fullt Symmetrical airfoil, so speed shouldn't be a factor. I would also try shifting weight back, but CAREFULLY! This plane gets too tail heavy very quickly!