Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Carving Plastic Spinners to Fit Props

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Carving Plastic Spinners to Fit Props

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Bob Pham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carving Plastic Spinners to Fit Props

I would like to get an opinion from you all regarding plastic spinners not fitting props. I worked late last night on my 7yr+ Dirty Birdy .60 (most asthetically pleasing and excellent flying pattern plane by Joe Bridy IMO) to swap out the engine. I took off the 2 1/4" Golberg spinner that I had to carve to fit an APC 11X7 prop. I tried putting in a new Dubro 2 1/4" spinner and it would not fit none of the props I have on hand: 11X7 APC, 12X6 MA, 11X11 Graupner. I then tried a Dubro 2 1/2" with same problem.

I remember having to carve plastic spinners almost every single time to fit over just about any prop except wooden ones. One time I cut my thumb pretty bad doing it. What's the deal here? Are these manufacturers just ignorant or not doing their homework before putting out their products for us to buy? Let's here from you all.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:22 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a feature of the hobby. I'm sure these are molded in 30 year
old tooling and they were set for min. fit requirements. This is
just a few seconds operation with a Dremel sanding drum. No
biggie deal. Just be thankful you haven't bought one of the 4" to
6" plastic or aluminium spinners that don't have any slots cut at
all.

Randy
Old 06-08-2002, 02:09 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Tru-Turn spinners, while much more expensive, are your best choice for a spinner. They have spinners with slots already curt for the prop you want to use and they will custom cut the slots for you if you have a unique prop that won't fit their pre-cut slots.