Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fueling with cowl. how do i know its full?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fueling with cowl. how do i know its full?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 08:44 AM
gr8johnson3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fueling with cowl. how do i know its full?

without the cowl you take the hose off the muffler and watch the fuel come out. how do i work it now. do i have to run another line to the cowl with a dot like i did with the fueling port? it seems fuel will still make it to the muffler though. probably not a big deal if it does. thanks for the help.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fueling with cowl. how do i know its full?

Can't you just watch for fuel coming out of the muffler?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:22 AM
gr8johnson3

well i was wondering if that was the way it is usually done. what about fuel going into the carb? i was told that if i dont use one of those fancy fueling valves that fuel will go to the carb and vapor lock my engine. i was going to install another e-z fuel dot on the bottom of the cowl with a "T" going to the muffler just so the fuel has an easier path to go out of the cowl. just thinking path of least resistance would work best. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVW09&P=0. this is the part i use now to fuel. i was going to install another one on the bottom so the fuel will just go out that way.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a third line going from the inside top of the tank and out the bottom of the cowl and plug the line to fly.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gr8johnson3

i was told that if i dont use one of those fancy fueling valves that fuel will go to the carb and vapor lock my engine. i was going to install another e-z fuel dot on the bottom of the cowl with a "T" going to the muffler just so the fuel has an easier path to go out of the cowl. just thinking path of least resistance would work best.
Yes, give a "T" going to the muffler a try. It might work. I also have a third line going to the tank with its own clunk for fueling and draining (on all my 4-strokes other than YS). If you fill up using the third line, then fuel will not go to the carb since the line to the carb has high resistance with the carb shut.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:55 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use a 3 line setup with a one-way valve in the line to the muffler with a
tee to a fuel dot which is opened for fueling. The one-way valve lets
pressure from the muffler go to the tank but won't let fuel go to the muffler.
The fill line has a fuel dot which is opened for fueling and the fuel dot in the muffler
line is opened for the overflow. You can actually fuel up from either line as the tubes
in the tank from both lines are at the top of the tank.
One problem especially with inverted engine is making sure the tank centerline is
centered with the carb, not the engine thrust line. If higher, fuel will siphon to the carb
when just sitting unless you pinch the line.
There are a couple of companies that make fueling valves that shut off the carb line
when fueling and reopen when the fueling nozzle is withdrawn but I haven't used one
of these yet so I can't tell you how good they work.
Sounds complicated but it's really not.

tommy s
Old 02-20-2004, 01:16 PM
gr8johnson3

i do have the 3 line set up. one going to my carb, one goes to muffler and one for fuel inlet. someone told me that when i am fueling the pressure from fueling will cause fuel to go into the klunk and to the carb if i use this setup. i figure allowing a line with less resistance will stop this from happening.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:11 PM
FHHuber
Banned

If you fill te tank with the throttle closed... very little fuel will go into the carb. I've got a 4-stroke mounted inverted that I am fuleig the tank using a T to the fuel feed line. No problems from filling the carb with fuel. (and 4-strokes are worse about getting flooded than 2-strokes. Inverted 4-strokes are EASY to hydraulic lock.)
Old 02-20-2004, 03:59 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Another option I haven't used in a couple of years but works very well is to
drill two holes in the side of the cowl and run the fuel line outside for a short distance.
I used this method on a small 40 sized pattern ship mainly because the cowl was
so cramped but it was the perfect place to put the fuel filter for easy cleaning.
Just unhook the line from the back side of the filter and fill through it and use the
other line for overflow.

tommy s
Old 02-20-2004, 07:59 PM
gr8johnson3

thanks for the input gang
Old 02-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Deadeye

You can also time the fuel up. For me, 35 seconds fills up a 14 oz fuel tank. Back when I used a hand crank pump, it took 40 cranks to fill an 8 oz tank. That's a pretty accurate way of fueling from empty. If fueling a half tank, you could always suck the remaining fuel out and fill from empty. It only takes a few seconds, and eliminates your problem.