Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flame Red vs Dark Red

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flame Red vs Dark Red

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:35 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flame Red vs Dark Red

All you covering folks out there: How close is the color match between Ultracote Flame Red and Monokote Deep Red? Thank you all in advance.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Mike Buckley

Default RE: Flame Red vs Dark Red

Try this one it works for me... Go to the hobby shop pick up a roll of Ultracote flame red and a roll of Monokote Deep red. Hold them up side by side, if the colours are the same, I'd say they are a good match. If not the same I'd say they aren't.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:11 PM
JollyPopper

Mike:

If I had a hobby shop less than a 2 hour drive from here, I would be happy to do that. I would love to have a LHS that I could go browse in. Unfortunately, the only excuse we had for a hobby shop here disappeared virtually overnight a few months ago and I don't consider that a great loss. I just thought someone might know if the two brands matched because I have a build going that has Monokote Dark Red on the tail feathers but don't have enough for the fuselage. I have a chance to buy some Ultracote Flame Red from a friend in another state and I wondered if they match close enough to put on the same plane.

Max
Old 02-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Mike Buckley

Sorry I was just being smart... I don't know off the top of my head but you might be able to find those sample colours on the Great Planes (they distribute monokote) and the Horizon Hobby (they distribute Ultracote) sites. See if they match on the computer. It won't be 100% but it would help.

On a side note, even 2 rolls of the same stuff can often vary in colour to a degree if they are from different lot numbers! I ran into the same problem covering the wing of my Duelist this winter. I ran out of blue Ultracote that I bought from 1 LHS and picked up a roll to finish the wing from another LHS! Guess what even though they were from the same manufacturer they differed slightly in colour!

Cheers, Mike
Old 02-22-2004, 12:03 AM
JollyPopper

Thanks Mike. Sounded like a good idea to see how close they matched on the computer, so I tried it. They look pretty close. I think what I will do, and probably should have done to begin with, is buy the Ultracote and see how close it is. The guy has three rolls, so even if it doesn't match, I will have it for future use. Worst case, I will have to pick up a roll of Monokote somewhere, probably Tower, to finish the plane I have started. Not the worst scenario in the world. Thanks for the reply.

Max
Old 02-22-2004, 09:01 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not familiar with Ultrakote Flame red, but I regularly interchange Monokote dark red with Ultrakote dark red (on the same plane).
Old 02-22-2004, 09:46 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Ultra coat flame red leans closer to an orange than red in my mind. I don't have a sample of the MONO to compare to it
Old 02-22-2004, 10:26 AM
JollyPopper

Thanks GARYSS. That is the kind of definitive answer I was looking for. Now I know what to buy from Tower, Horizon, or EBay without driving to Springfield, Mo. or Jonesboro, Ark., either of which is right at 130 miles from here. And MajorTomski (did I spell that right?) maybe Ultracote Flame Red is more like Monokote Missle Red which to me has a hint of orange in in. Thanks everyone.

Max
Old 02-22-2004, 06:16 PM
carrellh

I don't think there is a Monocote match for Flame Red Ultracote. I needed a small patch for my Astro Hog. My brother had 2 or 3 reds and none were even close to the Flame Red.