Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How long will a 600mah RX battery last.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How long will a 600mah RX battery last.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 09:32 PM
carmerxr400
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long will a 600mah RX battery last.

How long will a 600mah battery last (flying time) I have an Extra easy 2 using 4 servos. I have a volt meter to test the battery. when should I check it. 40 minutes of on time or 60 min. Can I use Futaba RX battery with a JR RX. Thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 10:47 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: How long will a 600mah RX battery last.

Many variables here.
If it gets cold up there, then you need to check after a couple of flights. During the summer, I always check after three flights. It makes a difference how many yanks and cranks you do to drain the pack; a trainer doesn't draw as much as a pilot that is doing major aerobatic moves. You can use the Futaba battery if you cut off it's locating tab on the male plug.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:24 AM
CafeenMan

Assuming standard servos and that you're not flying full throttle and yanking the plane around the whole time and that none of the servos are stalling, then you should easily get in 5-6 flights. But you should check the voltage at least every couple flights.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:18 AM
damo.f

Mine used to last easily around 5-6 (haven't flown more flights than that in a single day) good flights when just flying circuits and learning, as soon as I started to really chuck it about, it would only last for 4 flights. The cold will also afect it, as will many other variables, but I think you should be fine for a couple of flights
Old 02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always install an external charger outlet on my planes and check between each flight. Overkill?....maybe, but that's why I bought the voltmeter in the first place. I have just made it part of the routine when I am filling the tank and getting ready for the next flight. I figure the little extra time it takes to check is worth it. I started doing this when I had a battery go bad in my 4*60. I got to the field and set up for my first flight, checked the charge before leaving the house, did my range check, and checked again. Sat down for about 10-15minutes to B.S. with other pilots, then for some reason thought I would check it again. It had gone from 5.1 to 3.6 volts in less than 10 minutes. Saved my plane by doing that. So it just stuck with me.

BTW: My 600's lasted about 4-5 flights, but I have moved to 1100mah in all my planes. (Just personal preference on this one.)
Old 02-26-2004, 12:47 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

A voltmeter is simply NOT good enough...... When you check battery voltage, you need to LOAD it while checking... A load can simply be a resistor that you check the voltage across it whild it is connected to the battery...... Without a load, your battery can read good, but as soon as you put a load (radio system, especially when in flight deflecting the surfaces) on it, the voltage could drop substantially....
Old 02-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Voltwatch, and never worry again. I have one on all my planes.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:24 PM
bhole74

I use a hobbico volt meter, and yes, it load tests.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:47 PM
steener

i use a voltwatch also. i mounted it under the canopy of my 4*. before you fly turn on your tx and rx. move the sticks and the voltwatch will display your battery's charge with led's while under the load of the servos. i got mine from the lhs for 12 bucks. it just plugs into any open recepticle on your receiver.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Stick Jammer

There is one very important thing to remember when using a VoltWatch, they are only good for NiCd packs, not NiMH. NiMH batteries have a very different discharge curve and will appear to still be OK on a VoltWatch right up to the end of their capacity. Once it starts to go down, it'll go fast.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Live Wire

To cut all BS short,about 140 minutes. Make sure you check your batteries between fights. This means ground and air time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is an estamate at 300ma.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:17 AM
SkyDude

I go four flights of approx. 12-14 minutes before I recharge my 600 ma Futaba rx pack on my Avistar. You may be able to get another flight or two, but you would be taking a chance and risk losing control of the plane. If you don't have the charge jack mounted, just lay the charge plug outside the fuse under the wing which is what I do with my Avistar.

Spend a little money to get a field charger. I use the Sirius charger although there are others out there that are a little cheaper, but I think the Sirius is well worth the additional $$. If you're going to be in this hobby for a while, Sirius is the way to go for field charging, IMHO. No fuss, just select 250, 500 or 1000 mA charge and wait till it blinks. It auto-detects four or five cell packs and is pretty bullet-proof. It also charges Tx packs at the same time.

http://www.siriuselectronics.com/
Old 03-01-2004, 11:57 AM
fprintf

Wow. I guess you guys must be doing a lot of yankin' and bankin'! On my glider I get a whole day, 6 hours, of flying per charge. [>:]
Old 03-02-2004, 11:46 PM
SkyDude

Yes, I probably could go five or six flights without recharging, but the Sirius charger is easy and quick to use, especially if you have a charge jack mounted on your plane. It only takes about 15-20 minutes and the extra piece of mind is worth it for me.

And, yeah, I do perform a lot of of yankin' and bankin'. Flying plain ol' circuits just ain't my cup 'o tea...