Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Midwest AT-6

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 07:57 PM
willie45
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest AT-6

I have a midwest AT-6 Texan that is covered in mono coat. I want to glass and paint it but I dont want to get the plane to heavy. How much weight does it add and does anyone have a midwest texan glassed and painted that could tell me how it flies? Thanks for your help. Bill
Old 02-29-2004, 12:25 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Midwest AT-6

Is the Texan fully sheeted? If not, you really can't glass it, the glass will sag wherever there is no sheeting.
Dennis-
Old 02-29-2004, 08:59 AM
willie45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is sheeted all but the elevator and tail section.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:10 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do decide to glass the plane, sheet those surfaces first. If possible, build new ones so that you can keep them light; adding sheeting to the old ones will add tail weight, something you really don't want to do.

There have been a number of write ups on glassing, and while it is possible to glass and paint a plane so that the finished weight is similar to Monocote, it takes some know how.

The procedures aren't something that can be spelled out in a simple post, so in spite of not liking to do it, I'll recommend doing a "Search".

Good luck,
Dennis-