Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is Plan Protector available in the UK - Or suitable alternative?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is Plan Protector available in the UK - Or suitable alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 12:06 PM
adavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Plan Protector available in the UK - Or suitable alternative?

I'm building my first kit and am getting to the point where I start to build the wings. I need something to stop the CA sticking my wing to the plan, and it has been suggested that Plan Protector is the thing. I haven't seen this advertised in the UK. Is it available here (maybe under a different name) - Or can somebody recommend an alternative? I did an experiment with Cling Film, but the CA seems to stick to this quite easily. I'm not too bothered how much it costs, just so long as it will do the job!!

Many Thanks,
=Adrian=
Old 03-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Floater-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Plan Protector available in the UK - Or suitable alternative?

Waxed paper from your grocery store works great and is cheap! I'm on my 10th or 11th kit and have used nothing but with great success! Cheers.
Floater.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Is Plan Protector available in the UK - Or suitable alternative?

Waxed paper is my favorite. I have a 'butcher's roll' 30" x 600 ft in my cellar. Unfortunately, when using a spray accelerator (like ammonia & water) the CA will occasionally react with the wax (I think it gets hot enough to bubble the wax). I have also used:

The backing of Monokote (ask other builders as this is your first kit - save it thereafter).

Plastic painter's drop cloth.

Plastic table protector (for covering the lace tablecloth on your dining room table - check a fabric store).

Ploy bags for colleting trash paper - We have a shredder at work that uses 3' x 6' transparent bags. Somehow a couple found their way into my car trunk.

Poke around - you'll find something. Test any clear, poly/plastic material by putting a drop of CA on it and then a piece of balsa over it. After 15 minutes pull it off. If it sticks/melts find something else. If it doesn't then you're in business.