Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Surpass 70 II power.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Surpass 70 II power.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Beheemoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surpass 70 II power.

Can anyone take a guess as to whether the OS Surpass 70 II will have enough power to fly the Thunder Tiger 60 ARF?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54391.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	108161  
Old 03-05-2004, 04:56 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Surpass 70 II power.

I think it will fly, just how much reserve power you will have is the issue.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:09 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It will fly it just fine. Plenty of power there. It's a trainer...your not looking for unlimited vertical, or hover to any degree. It will work great. Go for it!!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Plenty. It turns slower, but with a bigger prop. I have one on my Contender 60, which weighs 6.5 lbs, and it's plenty. Your TT Trainer 60 lists at 6-7 lbs. If you overpower a trainer you just get excessive lift, not additional performance.

Had one on my Big Stik 40 - that could accelerate up out-of sight from a hover.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Spaceclam

four strokes are great, i love them. the only possible issue might be that a four stroke weighs more. it is a trainer, so it may not matter. they are also more expensive. however, they have much quicker throttle response, a lot less messy, quieter, better sounding, and are much much more efficient than a two stroke. go for it
Old 03-06-2004, 03:27 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

I have found that a four stroke will typically give more torque and a slower speed than a comparable displacement 2 stroke. In a trainer, thats just what you want. A slower flight...(time to think a little about what you are doing) Plenty of power...(gets the plane up into the air quickly and can pull it out of difficulty in a hurry when neccessary.) Unless you are a pylon racer, you may find that you much prefer the 4 stroke for all of the reasons mentioned in the previous posts. Good luck and happy landings.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:47 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I take back my answer about reserve power, today at the field a friend was flying his Tiger 60 in which he normally uses a OS 90 pumper. The 90 is in for repairs so he installed an OS70 in it and it flew great, plenty of power for big loops. His plane has been repaired many times so its far from light. Go with the OS 70, its worth the additional cost and very reliable. I only fly 4 strokes, Saito and OS, and everyone ticks like a clock.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Beheemoth

Thanks to all... I had the FS70 from a plane I was building last year but at the 70% completed build a squirrel got into the garage and ate up most all of the remaining balsa parts and part of the fuselage next to the box... now that it's spring and no time to start up another plane... I wanted something quick and haven't flown in a few years... so the TT Trainer 60 seemed like just the ticket at about $130...

The combinations are endless... thank goodness!