Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

small plane design and materials

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

small plane design and materials

Old 03-07-2004, 02:17 AM
flying wood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small plane design and materials

I want to build as small a plane as reasonabley possible. I want to be able to fly it in my living room. oes anyone have any reconmendations or comments on this idea. If you done this before can you lead me to a good motor and servo. Also I was wondering if It is possible to build one smaller than the Bugz planes without making my own electronics; if not, do you recomend them?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:56 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: small plane design and materials

Smallest I know of that Flys well is not RC... but ts VERY interresting

Appx 2.5 inch span "Fly Powered" models. You build the framework from 1.64 (hand split) square balsa. "plasticize" some dope with a drop of beer and a drop of castor oil (I forget how much dope that works for... about 1/2 oz I think) put 1 drop of that mix on the surface of a bathtub full f water and you have made "microfilm" to cover the model with. Catch a fly and glue him to the nose for an "engine."

I let a dozen of these loose in my HS Geometry class. Took a few days to catch the last one.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Dsegal

Take a look at the micro models forum at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=85/

Henry Pasquet is flying a 4.8gram RC model indoors. He uses both CO2 and e-power in his tiny planes. The magazines show his tiny projects from time to time.

I now have the April issue of Flying Models magazine and you might take a look at page 58. It shows Pasquet's Little Bit Slow which flies in 3 foot circles for 13 minutes!
Old 03-07-2004, 07:07 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you have a large living room!

I have read of rc models that can be flown in about a 14 by 26 foot room, but they're extremely difficult to build properly and require a great deal of experience.

You'll need the smallest of micro gear and magnetic actuators rather than servos. You'll need to remove the cover from the smallest. lightest receiver available, and will probably have to solder the servos directly to it because connectors are too heavy.

If the info you need isn't available on RCU, check out EZone's micro forum.

Maybe you should consider a small electric helicopter like the Picolo instead.
Dennis-