Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pizazz

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 07:21 PM
Kyle2Baseball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pizazz

I was wondering if anybody new how the pizazz flys
Old 06-13-2002, 07:47 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default Pizazz

I've only seen one fly, never actually flown one myself, but they are very aerobatic. Good slow flying characteristics. Seems like a great, fun plane! The one I saw had a saito 60 (?) on it.

The only I don't like about them is that the wing doesn't come apart from the plane. Depending on your vehicle, this could be a problem.

Mike
Old 06-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Chris300s
My Feedback: (1)

Default Pizazz

The Pizazz is without question the best bang for your buck on the market. We have 2 of them with Saito .91's.
I think that the Saito .72 would be the perfect combo. They torque roll, watefall, spin, tumble, lomczevak and then slow down to a baby's crawl. I'm flying mine on plain old Futaba 3003's. We put more time on them last year than we did any other plane. I highly recommend them.
Do a search for them on RCONLINE and you'll find a couple of threads.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:11 AM
plazwythsquirel

Default Pizazz

would a 46fx pull the pizzazz purty good?
Old 06-19-2002, 10:38 AM
Chris300s

Default Pizazz

No, a .46 wouldn't pull a Pizazz around unless it were a Rossi on 70% nitro.
A Supertigree or OS .50 would be a start. A .60 would be even better and the Saito .72 is perfect.
I starte out with an MDS .48 on mine (as suggested) and pulled it out after a couple of flights. Not enough guts.
Chris
Old 06-19-2002, 11:19 AM
swill
My Feedback: (17)

Default Pizazz

I have a ST51 with an APC 12.25 x 3.75 fun-fly prop on mine... still running the 'ol Supertigre trash can motor. I have a Mac's one-piece on my ST40 and it really improves that plane. One of these days I'll try it. the only drawback would be the exhaust would blow all over the top of the wing - with the adjustable ST muffler, I can get it to go under the wing.

With the current setup, performance is OK. not bad, could be a little better for torque rolling. Vertical is really good. I'd say I'm TR'ing at about 85% throttle.

A buddy wanted to put a OS 91 4-stroke in his (after flying with a 7 4-stroke). I'd say you're getting up there in tail weight required thus making the whole plane lighter. Flying both, mine with the 2-stroke definately feels lighter.

All-around a fun plane, but I prefer something like the Laser 3D better. Just my opinion.

Keep 'em flying,
Scott
Old 06-19-2002, 12:06 PM
Saito_56-RCU

Default Pizzazz review

A month or two ago, there was a review in Model Airplane News, about the Pizzazz. They put a OS 46FX on it and it few ok, but they suggested a Rossi .45 or better yet the Saito .71 Four Stroke. I am buying a Pizzazz this month, and have yet to decide if a rossi is what I will put on it. Limited budget, but they said a Rossi would let you hover and then pull out.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:49 PM
djlyon

Default Pizazz

Use the search function and you'll find more stuff on this plane than you can read in a week.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:26 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pizazz

Okay,here goes.

I have set up and test flown one Pizzaz for a friend, and then got one for myself. I later submitted a short kit review for this plane in the review forum.

From my personal experience, the 46 size engines will be enough to just fly the plane as a very stable fun flyer. Adding a tuned pipe would help, but the engine mount set up on this plane points the exhaust dead center ot the leading edge of the wing, ruling out using a tuned pipe.

From experience, the Tower .75 two stroke, and the MDS .78 are both excellent engine choices for this plane. You might wish to use a larger than included fuel tank if you use this size engine. I have also used an OS 60 SF with excellent results. It actually had more power output than either of the other two engines.

The big problem is that the OS 60SF will fly the plane at full throttle with a 13 1/4 x4 prop too fast for the ailerons, causing flutter. If you pay attention and keep your speed down, any of the noted engines will provide more than enough power to do ANYTHING you want to do, and fly out of it. Note that with the larger engines, nose weight will not be needed for balance. Balance this plane at the kit noted CG for your first flights. Later, you will probably want to move the CG aft for better 3D flight. Go ahead and experiment with the CG. I have mine set up about a full inch behind the manufacturers setting, and it flys fine. I have gone a lot farther aft, but your looking for trouble when you do.

If you have a computer radio, be sure to set up the controls to make use of flaperons. At high rates, this plane does beautiful repetitive waterfalls. It will hover well at low rate rudder and elevator. At high rate everything, flat spins happen quickly, but be ready to hang on for the ride. It Harriers well, and lands at a crawl. GREAT PLANE!!!

Enjoy,
Silversurfer
Old 07-07-2002, 09:02 AM
DLK

Default Pizazz

I have a Pizzaz with a Saito 100 on it. It is one of my favorite planes. If you want fun, unlimited power- straight up rolling so fast you can't count them or slow so you think its going to fall out of the sky but it doesn't, get this setup. Loops in 3-4 feet. I was never a 4-cycle lover but this engine has changed my mind. Pizzaz is pure stock other than sealing inside with epoxy. I guess it will 3-D, I'm learning, don't think its great for that because of its size. Your best with a computer radio and tie some surfaces together. I have a JR 8103. Running a APC 14x8. Bruttle power. Its one fun plane.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:43 PM
uciflylow

Default Pizazz

I got me one about 2 weeks ago with a MDS 58 and 12.25X3.75 APC prop. I have the CG at 1 inch aft of the back listed cg and man this thing rocks. Don't get me wrong it's not a profile fun fly but it is lots of fun to fly. :boxing: The 58 will pull it out of a hover with plenty of umph but not at a zoom. I don't see how a 46 would be able to pull out of a hover if it will hold one at full throtle.
The only complaint I have is that the hinge material have given me fitts! I finaly replaced all the hinges with Robart hinges and no more problems.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:47 PM
Tired Old Man

Default Pizazz

uciflylow

One of the items noted in my review was to get rid of the hinges included in the kit. If you are into serious 3D and high level aerobatics, change your control rods to 4-40. I have bent several of the kit supplied rods. They are not adaquate for high stress flight. But they do keep the cost down to assist in kit sales.

You will find that a Sullivan rst 12 tank will fit into the fuel tank bay. Be careful when doing this to assure clearance of the fuel linkage.

If you want to make the canopy removable, you can use the deck below it to be very useful for installing the battery. This way you can move the battery fore and aft to change the CG as desired without adding or subtracting weight. It will also nicely accomodate a gyro and rate switch. Paint the inside of the canopy if you don't want anyone to know that you might be cheating.

Silversurfer
Old 08-12-2002, 04:28 AM
eliav-RCU

Default Pizazz

I am interested in buying a pizzaz because I went from a big stick to an ultra sport and I am 16 and am having trouble bringing her in in cross winds...

I am getting a satio 72 and was wondering if this plane would also help me increase my time on the sticks for landings.. Do you think it will help me after a little bit of practice to ease in the ultra sport...
Old 08-13-2002, 03:17 AM
Tired Old Man

Default Pizazz

Eliav:

The Pizzaz will permit you to make just about any type of landing you can imagine. It will land long and slow or short and quick. I don't see the reason to move up to an Ultra Sport, unless you are going to use it as a pattern trainer.

Once you learn how to fully utilize all the capabilities of a "Fun Fly" type airplane, you may not have a desire to "move up" to the larger aircraft, except to satisfy personal desires. It will also give you the opportunity to explore the different mixing capabilities of your computer radio if you have one.

Overall, the Pizzaz, or one of the other fun fly aircraft, such as the Extra Special or Dazzler, will allow you to have a lot of fun while exploring various type of flying styles. The Saito 72 will be perfect for your Pizzaz.

Silversurfer
Old 08-14-2002, 02:42 AM
eliav-RCU

Default Pizazz

Well as of now I am flying the ultra sport and I am having trouble with bringing her in in a cross wind....

But as you clarified it above the pizazz should really help me out in not only exploring the new possibility's but with training myself to handle cross wind landings ( which my field always has )....

Or at least thats what I think you said!!! Right??? :bananahea
Old 08-14-2002, 11:09 PM
Tired Old Man

Default Pizazz

Pertty much so, Elia. As far as the x-winds are concerned, remember to use a little rudder into the wind. Hold some of that same rudder as you roll out. As you get better, you will want to try using aileron to keep the wing down into the wind.

The Pizzaz will land much slower than the Ultra Sport, giving you a lot more time to set yourself up for the landing. Bear in mind, though, that the Pizzaz will be more sensitive to the wind than the U.S., due to the larger wing profile. This should not be any problem because it will be flying slow enough to permit you the time you need to react.

Enjoy,

Silversurfer
Old 08-15-2002, 01:56 AM
eliav-RCU

Default Pizazz

Well like you said that I should use the rudder... I have been using it (well at least a couple of times and what all ways happens is that after a second or two after applying the control movement it just seams that one of the wings dip down and since the last time that I tried that I was afraid to do it again because I did not want to crash the plane.... Ya know what I mean.. :bananahea

But some guys at the field were saying that if you use the rudder and the ailerons at the same time you loss allot of attitude but you don't loss any air speed....

So, I tried that and of course it didn't work and one of the wings fell... The ultra sport is one hell of a tricky plane to fly...

So on a good note, I ordered the pizazz with a satio 72.... It should arrive Friday I'm so excited....

I bought 3 different props to try flying with the satio 72... A 12x8, a 13x6, and a 13x8...

I would like you to tell me what you thought about the selection!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 03:58 PM
ajvpb
My Feedback: (3)

Default Pizazz

Chris300 I have a couple questions. I want to do a lomcovak, what are the control inputs and throttle settings and in general how do you get it to do that. Does the plane need to be considerably tail heavy. Does the fact that it is a low wing matter. Do you need a really powerful engine. Alot of questions but I hope you or anyone else can answer. Thanks
Old 08-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Tired Old Man

Default Pizazz

Hi Elia:

Regarding the combined use of rudder and aileron. When you holding a crosswind component, it should not take very much rudder input to hold the plane on a course straight with the runway.

When you add aileron input with the rudder, you will add an amount of aileron that will dip the wing into the wind just a little bit, then add rudder, usually opposite that of the aileron input, in an amount that will offset the turning motion caused by the ailerons. Don't worry if you end up flying with one wing just a little bit down from the other. You are in reality performing a forward slip and maintaining altitude.

Your choice in aircraft and engines for improving your flight coordination are, in my opinion, excellent. You may want to experiment with 5 inch pitch props. You do not want the speed that will be generated by the higher pitches, only the torque.

One other note. Try setting up your Pizzaz without gluing the wing in place to check the C/G. Put all your radio gear in place, and slide in the wing. Go ahead and completely install the tail feathers. If you come out nose heavy with the Saito 72, think about installing the rudder servo at the back of the fuselage, ahead and below of the horizontal stab. Check out my kit review for the Pizzaz in the review posts. I added a light ply doubler inside the fuselage for added mounting support. Worked great.

Fly high, and fly hard. Let me know how you do on all this, you've got me really interested in your progress.

Silversurfer

Hello Snowskate:

On your Lomcovak, you don't have to be really tail heavy. But don't be nose heavy either. You will need at LEAST 45 degrees of elevator and rudder throw in each direction. Maybe more! Extra power will always help.

There are several ways to enter a Lomcovak. All of them require speed and power on entry. Try climbing at about a 45 degree angle, power on, roll right, and quickly, before the right roll fully develops, move your sticks to the down elevator, left aileron, right rudder, and full power positions (/\) and hold them there. Do this quite high the first times. If it works for your plane, you will twist, turn, and tumble. You will probably fall out of the manuver into a spin, so be ready to recover.

Next try the same flat climbing angle, input left rudder, high power, up elevator, and left aileron . As soon as you input the left and up, rapidly move the right stick to the down and left aileron position and hold it there. This method will take practice in the timing of the elevator input, ya gotta be really fast. The same spin will probably occur.

You can do this on a level flight plane also. Really interesting visual effects. But this is a really fast way to destroy an airplane if you don't have enough altitude to recover, or if you're not fast enough on the sticks. Performing this on a down line? Take off the power before entry and be ready for a really wild ride!!

Silversurfer
Old 08-16-2002, 01:42 AM
eliav-RCU

Default Pizazz

I really appreciate it that you are helping me out!!! :bananahea

I am getting the pizazz on Friday and I am also getting a satio 72 to go along with it.... I cant wait...

I hope to have it flying by maybe wed or thurs!!! And then we shall see what kind of guts this plane really has.

O I just have one last question... Will this plane fly like a normal sport plane on low rates? Like do you know what I mean, like will it fly like the ultra sport... Do ya know what I mean...

But any ways, I will keep you posted on my progress and tell you my thoughts about this plane as soon as posibale...
Old 08-16-2002, 03:21 AM
Tired Old Man

Default Pizazz

Elia:

The Pizzaz is an extremely versatal and will fly any way you want it to. It will be lighter in it's control response than the Ultra Sport, but the basics are all the same. It will respond reasonably precise to all of your control inputs.

At high speeds, use the lower rates. I DO NOT recommend really fast speeds with this plane, though. The very large control surfaces WILL FLUTTER at very high speeds. Mine have, several times. This trait is common to all of the fun fly designs with oversize controls. Use 4/40 rods for ALL your control wire.

At low speeds, use your high rates once you are comfortable with them. High rates on this plane are very high, and will create very fast and radical control response. Set the plane up the way Hanger 9 tells you to in the booklet. You won't need more than that for some time.

Take your time in learning the plane. Don't go out and get wild right away. Gradually feel her out (up?, and practice one manuver at a time until you know it well, ten go on to the next one. That's the secret to keeping a model for a long time.

Once again, I did a kit review of sorts some time back here in the RC Universe. I did not cover all the small stuff, just the areas I thought could use some attention. It's got an epoxy trick in there that you may want to use.

Take your time breaking in the Saito 72. Ringed engines do not take well to getting hot during the break in. Matter of fact, it can ruin them right out of the box. Run several (4 or 5) tanks of fuel though the engine, starting at a very rich setting, gradually leaning it out during the process. Let the engine cool completely (1/2 hour or more) between runs. All this lets the metals seat and match up properly. Do all this right and your 72 will probably run stronger and longer than the other guys.

Thanks for the shout and your welcome. I'm happy to help any time you may need it.

Silversurfer
Old 08-16-2002, 03:44 AM
eliav-RCU

Default Pizazz

I don't want to bother you to much but it sounds like you know what your talking about so here it goes...

Well when I brake in the engine should I start at 2 3/4 (rich) right but in the manual it ses to run the engine bellow 4000 rpm.. Now I don't have a tack so should I just run it with the 13x6 prop at 2 3/4 at 1/2 throttle and then once in a while bring it up to speed for like 30 sec or just run it at half... (I don't know the exact throttle impute) Then after I run it the first time should I then close the needle valve by a 1/4 of a turn every tank until I get to ?????

I just remembered I don't know satios basic running needle adj.... Do you?

If you could help me with the procedure I would be very grateful and are the 4-40 really necessary...
Old 08-17-2002, 03:53 AM
Tired Old Man

Default Pizazz

Elia

Starting with the 4/40. It depends a lot on how you will eventually end up flying the plane. If you fly it like a 3D plane, most of your manuvers will be done at slow(er) speeds but at the same time have high power settings. The stock hardware will do for this application. On the other hand, if you end up flying at high speeds, with sharp and abrupt manuvers, things will start to fail relatively soon. I have flown mine both ways, and even with the 4/40 rod installation I now can't fly without the ailerons fluttering at medium speeds. I will have to rebuild the ailerons and re-cover them. No big deal, just time taken away from other things I need to do. I will have to admit, I have flown this plane VERY hard and enjoyed every minute of it.

On the Saito 72. Start with the needle valve out about 4 turns or so. Just enough to get it started, then lean it out about 1/2 to 3/4 turn from your first starting point. Run a couple of tanks of fuel through the engine at a needle setting that will let you hold your finger against the head for the entire running period without it getting hot. Please do this from behind the engine!!!

On you 3rd tank, lean the engine out another 1/2 turn, or so. Just enough to let the engine get a little warmer on this run. You will still want to be able to place your finger on the engine and not burn yourself. On the forth tank, lean it out a little more. Don't let it get hot, but let it get warmer this time. Let the engine cool between each tank. Even if this process takes all day, you will be money in the bank over the long run.

After the fourth tank, run the engine up to peak RPM for about 30 seconds at a time, bringing it back down off the lean setting about 3/4 to 1 full turn of the needle valve. Let it run itself cool for about 45 seconds or a minute and peak it out again, repeating this process for the duration of the tank. Now you should be able to go fly this engine.

A good indicator of a completed break in process is the engines ability to hold a reliable idle. If it does hold an idle after the previously described process, the break in process is complete. Now all you may have to do is adjust the low end mixture. Do this in very small increments, and only if it needs to be done. If you can't seem to get a good idle, pick up an OS Type "F" plug. You will get a lower, more reliable idle with this plug. You may want to get the help of someone at the field you fly at to assist you in the low end mixture setting. Try to make sure they understand 4 strokes first, though.

Should you desire, you can e-mail me direct by using the button at the bottom of this post. We can exchange home e-mail addresses at that time.

Make sure you have fun at all this. It may sound like a lot of work, but it's not. It's all part of the challenge and never ending learning process that helps make this hobby fun and rewarding!

Silversurfer
Old 08-17-2002, 06:38 PM
Saito_56-RCU

Default Pizazz with Rossi .45

Originally posted by Chris300s
No, a .46 wouldn't pull a Pizazz around unless it were a Rossi on 70% nitro.
A Supertigree or OS .50 would be a start. A .60 would be even better and the Saito .72 is perfect.
I starte out with an MDS .48 on mine (as suggested) and pulled it out after a couple of flights. Not enough guts.
Chris
I just flew my Pizazz with a Rossi .45 on it for the first time Monday. I fly on mondays and thursdays.
The rossi is running rich right now, but pulled the rossi up and flew it great at 1/2 throttle. It did loops and a few rolls with ease at 1/2 power. This monday I will begin leaning it out some, 3 tanks of fuel have been thru it now. The Pizazz tracks very good on the ground, and with a little elevator lifts off nice and easy. I have the throws set lower than the sugguested levels. So far so good and looks like it will be great flying fun when the Rossi gets tuned in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21890_10288.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	9129  
Old 08-17-2002, 08:01 PM
eliav-RCU

Default Pizazz

As I told you before I have just gotten the plane on fri and am almost to the part were you finnish epoxying the tail feathers... This is such a nice plane.... It is so beautiful...

Silversurfer...

I just have one last question and then I am going to go and do everything you have told me.... I have bought 3 different props to use on the satio 72... I have a 13x8 a 13x6 and a 12x8.. As you said before this plane cant handle high speeds so do you think the 13x6 would be better.... Well I don't know!!! Which do you think would be better?

Satio_56...

I cant wait until I am in your position and am able to fly this beautiful plane and see if all the good things you guys are saying are true...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.