Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

.46 or .61 for 40 size Super Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

.46 or .61 for 40 size Super Stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 08:52 PM
pf1130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .46 or .61 for 40 size Super Stick

Hi all,

My OS .46 fx died last week, engine needs new piston, sleeve, and bearings, so its getting tossed. I had this engine in my H9 Super Stick and it flew the plane very well. For this reason i like Tower's .46 it has a lil more power (which i really want) and its cheap enough for me 2 afford, this engine failure came at the worst time. This plane has seen better days but i really enjoy flying it, so i wouldnt want to spend and arm and a leg on it, or put it away either. My dilemma is wheter or not to spend 10 extra bucks and go for the .61 that tower sends. Seems to me that this would be the best investment since i could put this engine on another larger plane down the road. Im just afraid that the added weight of the .61 would adversely affect the flight dynamics of my Stick. Is this engine plane overkill for the Stick? thanks for your help and sorry to be long winded
Old 03-13-2004, 09:34 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: .46 or .61 for 40 size Super Stick

The .61 will be much heavier... so unless you can move the battery from right by the firewall to behind the wing... you should probably go with another .46. You certainly don't want to add several ounces to the nose AND have to add nearly the same weight to the tail.

The .61 may also be enough power to pull the airplane apart in level flight. Its definitely enough to pull it apart in hard maneuvers at full throttle, so if you don't have good throttle management skills... you don't dare use the larger engine.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The .61 is a lot heavier than a .46. Typical .46s, and I own several (OS, Thunder Tiger, Tower, Magnum, GMS)weigh in the 16.5-17.5 ounce range with muffler. A normal .61 weighs in the 25-27 ounce range and I have (OS, Thunder Tiger). This does not include a heavier prop.

Due to this weight difference, a .61 is usually not a good choice unless you shorten the nose. What you can do is to build the plane and mount the engine with prop. Mount the throttle servo and put the wing on. Rubber band the elevator and rudder servo to the rear in front of the fin and the battery just behind the wing. Move these items around until you get a good balance on the plane.

This technique works well on planes that tend to be a little tail heavy. You might have to mount both servos in the rear.

Another solution is a .50-.53 size engine like an OS .50, Magnum .52XLS or Irvine .53. These are built in .46 cases, but tend to run maybe 500 rpm faster.

In addition, a Tower muffler from the .46 will add 700-800 rpm on an OS .46AX and a Magnum .52.

A third solution is a .70 or .72 4-stroke like an OS, Magnum or Saito or the YS .63. Any of these would give you more power.

You really have lots of choices, so if you haven't bought the .61 yet, study your choices before making the move. I have a Big Stick 40 that I use to run in engines and both an OS .46AX or a Magnum .52XLS with the Tower muffler and a 12-4 APC prop will pull it vertical as long as I want.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:56 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I have a K&B .61 in my SST .40, and I get unlimited vertical with about the same weight as a .40. As .60s go it's no world-beater, but it's a kickin' .40.