Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what airbrush or gun to get?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what airbrush or gun to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 11:06 AM
bbmass
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what airbrush or gun to get?

I want to get something to spray paint on my planes. I have a compressor. I have no interest in doing anything other than laying down paint, ie I don't want to paint lines or flames. The badger 400 looks perfect, but expensive. Other suggestions?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: what airbrush or gun to get?

Based on some recommendations in the past, I bought a touch-up gun and have been pleased. It is large enough to handle the larger model paint jobs but small enough to be convenient to use. The one I bought is excellent quality and I only paid about $18 for it.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:50 PM
LouW

I have been using a touch up gun for years, like lightfoot described. It works great and if I only had one gun that would probably be it. However, I recently bought a small Ingersoll Rand gravity feed spray gun (from Lowes) that has a little smaller head than the touch up gun and a finer range of pattern adjustment and is easier to clean. I used it on my latest airplane and love it.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Phlip

Having never used a "Touch-up" gun, I still suspect Lightfoot and LouW are right on!

I have a Paasche H airbrush. It's great for small, plastic models, but it takes forever to lay down a coat of dope on a 4 to 5 ft. wingspan R/C model. It also takes some creative adjusting to get it to spray any kind of heavy coat of paint. I've been threatening to get a spray gun, but instead I'm just doing less painting because of the fumes. (I've also yet to try some of the newer water based poly type paints that I hear give a great fuel proof finish.)

If you do want to spray dope or similar stinky stuff, I suggest you wait for a nice day and go outside! Even a spray booth lets too much of the stink stay indoors.

Phil
Old 03-15-2004, 05:55 PM
DustOffUH1

If you do want to spray dope or similar stinky stuff, I suggest you wait for a nice day and go outside! Even a spray booth lets too much of the stink stay indoors.
A respirator works wonders for the fumes

I have the Badger touch up gun, haven't used it yet but will be soon. Yep, it takes forever using a regular airbrush.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Phlip

quote:

A respirator works wonders for the fumes
Point taken, but as much as they love me, I don't think I can convince the wife and kids to wear respirators all weekend while my paint dries
Old 03-15-2004, 09:36 PM
J_R

The smell of the fumes is a minor point. You do need a respirator when you are painting. Your lungs are the concern. Most paints will tack pretty quickly, and although they smell for a long period, the risk to lungs is generally over in 30 minutes or less. Don't spray without one.

A touch-up gun is the ticket for what you describe, as the others have said. You can spend as much or as little as you like. Home Depot and Lowes have them in the under 30 dollar range. I replaced an expensive one a couple of years ago with one from Home Depot and, for the price difference, I was very happy with the results.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:04 AM
DMyer

Use a respirator and paint outdoors unless you are spraying non-toxic paints like latex.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

I use three different spray guns. I use a small airbrush for small detail work, like smoke around the guns, etc. I use a Bager 250-2 gun and a testors compressor in my shop. I use that gun for larger applications where I don't have to worry about paint fumes. Just a few minutes ago I painted the bottom of the fuselage of my FW190 in my basement shop. I'll also use the Bager 250 to paint my markings. I don't like decals. I sprayed the coats on very light until I get the coverage I want. I also have an exhaust fan in my shop to take out what fumes I may have. With the Bager 250, I had very little overspray and fumes. For large applications like the wings and top and sides of the fuselage, I just started using a Sata MiniJet 3 HVLP. I used that gun yesterday to paint the bottom of my wing. In the past I use to use a regular detail touch up gun that I paid maybe $50 for. That gun worked good but was a pain to clean and I keep my guns like new. It had a small canister where as the paint was sucked up a tube. It worked good for me, I could adjust from fan to round spray. Then I broke down and spent the bucks, like $225 and bought the Sata. Wow, what a difference. First, it is gravity feed with the canister on top, no tubes, and I use disposable paint liners. Very little cleaning. I found the Sata lays down a nice even coat of paint, very easy to use but the biggest difference between the cheaper touch up gun and the Sata, you can adjust the air on the gun where you have almost no over-spray. Very nice when you're painting the top of the wing dark green and the bottom of the wing blue. I only use the Sata in my garage. There I don't have to worry if I do have over-spray or fumes. After painting in the garage I bring my stuff down to my shop to dry.
Larry