Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to paint Roundels on fabric covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to paint Roundels on fabric covering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Withano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to paint Roundels on fabric covering?

I'm building a scale WWI bipe. I want to paint roundels on the wings. I tried this a few years ago on another kit by cutting out round masks from contact paper. I'd then stick the contact paper on the fabric and spray paint the area. Unfortunately, the paint would always bleed under the mask -- even with very light coats of paint. I'm convinced this bleeding was due to the weave of the textured fabric (you just can't get a perfect seal on fabric covering).

How do I get aound this problem? Otherwise, are there companies that sell roundel decals for different scales? Even then, I'd want something very thin and scale-looking (like water transfer decals) not just stickers.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Brion (with an 'o')
Old 03-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Shane B
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: How to paint Roundels on fabric covering?

I painted my Bristol M1, it was covered with Nelsons fabric and painted with Model Masters paint,,, I used masking film bought from an Auto paint store, I didnt have any problems with it ,,,, Make sure you spray lite coats and dont spray towards the edge of your template, stay on top of your temp and spray over the edge, I assume your are spraying it,,,
Old 03-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Idigbo

Default RE: How to paint Roundels on fabric covering?

If you mask the area with latex, brushed on, no paint at all will bleed through. The beauty of masking with a liquid, is that the edge is very thin, so when you remove the mask, by rolling it off with a cloth, there is no great build up of paint on the edge, like you get with tape. Mask the general area with tape first, then the edges of your roundel.
Hope this helps, Ian.

Have included a pic of a 1/4 Sopwith Pup that was painted this way, so it does work!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97030.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	112117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66527.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	112118