Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dried on Epoxy can it be removed?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dried on Epoxy can it be removed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:11 PM
hayman1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dried on Epoxy can it be removed?

Just recently I bought what I thought was a perfect gaint scale Cessna.But after returning home with it and closer inspection of the under side of a wing,I have found a few,what appear as Epoxy drizzles.Now I know this dosn't hurt the performance,but looks like hell! can any one help? also it's on Ultra coat if it where to matter.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:38 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dried on Epoxy can it be removed?

Occasionally I can pop epoxy off of iron-on covering. I just gently pry around the edges. If that doesn't work the I would try using a heat gun being careful to not burn/melt the covering, and then prying again. If that doesn't work I would try some acetone, the neat then prying. Good Luck.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:04 AM
barto

I wouldn't try heating, the covering will melt before the epoxy does, acetone might do the trick
Old 03-22-2004, 05:24 PM
gwk

I have no idea if this will work, but how about a sealing iron with cover? Maybe with the heat the epoxy might get absorbed into the cover. Start with low heat and keep increasing until the epoxy starts to melt into the cover. You'll lose a cover, but it might work.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:14 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

I have used acetone to remove epoxy. Soak a corner of a rag and work at it. Sometime it will soft enough to pop off with a hobby knife. But if you work at it carefully, you can get it off. May not work on painted surfaces as the acetone will remove the paint too.[&o]
Old 03-25-2004, 04:34 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to pop it off the covering. Heat will get it, but it will melt the covering first. I wouldn't go with heat unless you want to fix holes.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is thinly smeared epoxy, acetone and a lot of rubbing will remove it. It will likely take more than one wetting with acetone. If it is drips, globs, or dribbles, you can lightly soak it with acetone a couple of times and carefully try to pop it off by getting a very sharp edge under a portion of the epoxy. Avoid using heat on the Ultracote. Doing so may cause holes to appear or for trim lines to smear to one side or the other if too much heat is applied.

Be careful using acetone on Ultracote. It's not quite as colorfast with acetone as Monokote. Just keep an eye on the rag or paper towel that's wet with acetone to see if you getting any color on it after rubbing.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:58 AM
jettstarblue

Turn the plane upside down, soak a rag in DENATURED ALCOHOL, place the rag on the epoxy, come back in an hour. The epoxy should be pretty soft, if not soak the rag a bit more and let sit. The epoxy will eventually soften, and then can be wiped off. Won't hurt the covering, just takes awhile.

Jetts