Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

receiver battery

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

receiver battery

Old 03-27-2004, 07:46 AM
bbmass
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default receiver battery

How would a plane with a low receiver battery behave while flying. I stuck my plane in the ground yesterday and this is all I can think of. I hadn't charged the battery since flying last weekend, I only had 2 flights. Thanks
Old 03-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: receiver battery

Usually controls get sluggish, slow down as servo voltage drops, when that happens you have a matter of seconds to get down in two hurries.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:38 AM
taurus02914

How low are you talking about? what plane, battery
I have found in the past that what most think is low is not actualy low.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you had 2 flights last weekend, and didn't charge the batteries since, I'd say you're right, You ran them down.

Nicads will lose power if they are just sitting. ALWAYS charge before flying.

BTW, many times you will see no noticeable change in control when nicads run down because once they run out of power, they don't lose it gradually, they drop like a stone. And so does your plane.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Usually you can see you are in trouble with NiCads if you know your plane. Controls get sluggesh. With NiMH usually when you notice the controls are not responding as they should it is too late. The drop off curve for NiMH is a lot steeper than NiCad. If you are just zooming and boring holes in the sky, you may not notice it until it is too late.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are various meters with which one can check flight pack voltages between flights and avoid that sudden "sinking feeling." I have an Ace Mini ESV (expanded scale voltmeter) that's about 1 1/2" square X 3/4" and wired with a
Futaba plug. From time to time it's had several other plugs on the end. I don't remember when I got it, but it has surely been over 20 years ago, and it has never let me down.

I make a point to go to the field with a charged flight pack aboard and often take a spare too. I check my packs with my Mini ESV after a few flights, just to be safe. I don't know if these little dudes are available today, but whatever you may get and at what price, it's well worth it, so get one and use it...it will certainly save your plane.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:26 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

ESV's (Expanded Scale Voltmeter) are available at almost any hobby shop or online for about $15.00. Buying and using one should become second nature.

And as Mike said, ALWAYS charge your battery packs the night before you fly, or peak charge them on the way to the field.
Dennis-
Old 03-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do as the others say about the ESV. I use the analog type as opposed to the digital as I find it easier to read, user friendly. Saved many of my own planes as well as others.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:15 AM
bbmass

Thanks guys. I have a ESV but it is in the mail right now. I usually charge before hand, but it was friday and I didn't think I was going to fly and I figured since I didn't fly much last weekend it would be okay. The good news was I read on the forum how to clean the engine and did, it started right up. I burried the plane 6" in mud. Also the plane is almost back together. Won't make that mistake again.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Geistware

I charged my pack today and flew. After 4 flights, I did a loop where the plane rolled out of it. I checked my pack and it was 4.7 volts. It helps to know your equipment.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:59 AM
bbmass

I have never used a volt meter, it seems 4.7 would be okay on 4.8 volt pack. If the voltage drops below 4.8 does that mean do not fly?
Old 03-29-2004, 05:46 PM
taurus02914

I look at it this way if the battery is rated for 4.8 how can 4.7 be no good I usualy will fly down to 4.4 and no lower
But this is only my opinion every body does it different
Old 03-30-2004, 12:06 AM
kdheath

A fully charged NiCad will read 5.2 to 5.4 volts. They are generally considered "completely" discharged at 4.4 volts. For safety, don't fly if the ESV reports <4.8v. Also, cycle your packs on a discharger a couple of times per year (and certainly at the beginning of flying season). If a pack drops below its rated capacity (say 600mah), pitch it and replace. Some guys go through and replace single cells in a pack, but that makes me nervous. Batteries are cheaper than airplanes!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Geistware

The abilty of the pack to hold the load is my concern. At 4.7 volts at a 300ma load is different than putting a 1 am load which is about what I would expect from my plane during some maneuvers.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:07 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did this on my SE last month. It rolls about 720 degrees a second. I was hot doggin and all of a sudden the roll rate slowed way down. I cut the throttle, did a split S to the runway and landed. The battery lasted about another minute. Its something to watch for. I have had it happen twice. Once I was way too high and got it almost to the ground when it died, and this one I saved. If the controls change at all in the air, get it on the ground.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:00 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Thought I would put in My 2 cents worth, I had - "had being the keyword" a nice 40 spitfire, new battery etc.. fully charged , feild checked voltage prior to flight -took off, put retracts up and made a couple of turns, landed. Went up about 2 minutes later and put retracts up, on the third full circle coming out of a dive, it started a slow porpous with full throws up and down, no throttle response, I gave it a little up elevator, nothing- Lawn Dart-
Moral of the story is to check the flimsy wire made retracts when you land, they tend to bend a little and won't retract fully and will drain your battery very quickly.
On the other note :
As the others have stated - check your batteries and ALWAYS pre charge before flying! Cheaper that way but you never know what can happen........