Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Will the disorientation get easier to deal with?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Will the disorientation get easier to deal with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 08:12 PM
rugrad02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the disorientation get easier to deal with?

I flew for the first time in 6 or 7 years today with an instructor and one thing I never got over is the disorienting feeling when the plane is at high altitudes, turning in the distance and when the plane is coming towards me. My instructor had to take control 3 times today. Will the disorientation eventually get easier to deal with? Is this something that gets better with experience? I hope so because I enjoy flying but I dont want to get so frustrated, unconfident and loose interest in RC flying. Let me know. Thanks
Kyle
Old 03-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Will the disorientation get easier to deal with?

Yes it definitely gets better..actually its much easier when your lower than at the nose bleed heights when your first learning..Keep at it!! Maybe invest in a flight simulator like Realflight or Aerofly they help a ton!! Good luck!
Old 03-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rugrad, welcome back.

Redrum has offered some good advice. Keep it a bit closer and lower, and by all means try a flight simulator.

Just a couple more things I've noticed with my students... cut the throttle, fly at a few clicks above stall speed. Your reactions will not have to be so fast. And cut the travel of your control surfaces. Most students show up with much more control throw than they need, and don't know they can fly at a third throttle or so. With the plane moving a little slower, and the sticks not so sensitive, you will make those turns much closer, and get used to them much faster.

When you're past that disorientation thing, you'll probably want some of the travel back.

Enjoy!
Dave Olson
Old 03-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Azcat59

Most people get over the orientation problems fairly fast. As said before, as you get better, you will be allowed to fly lower, and then it is easier to tell what the plane is doing. It will also be good if you have the top of the wings a light color (so they will show up when you are at distance, and banking TOWARDS YOU) and the bottom a dark color....if you don't see the light color when in a distant bank, you will know you are banking away from you, and you had better change it fast before it gets even further away!

Stick with it, and it will get easier!

Clair
Old 03-28-2004, 11:55 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like those have already said, it will come easier. One method is keep saying to yourself what direction you ARE going (or turning). Some of my students even say it out loud - then they know (by hearing themself) what way to turn OUT of a turn and/or know it is coming back AT you.

Lower altitude is the best advise.

Jerry
Old 03-29-2004, 12:15 AM
birdnest

Besides whats been said, two tricks are:

1) when the model is coming at you, push the aileron stick towards the low wing to level it out.

2) when it's coming at you from the left, for example, look over your left shoulder at the model but hold the transmitter over your right shoulder, kind of behind you. Your thumbs will pretty much go the right way. Try it a few times.

Peter
Old 03-29-2004, 12:56 AM
kdheath

"Stick toward the low wing" when it's coming toward you helped me a lot.

Also, when you take off, plant your feet parallel to the runway centerline and don't move them. (You don't fly behind the flight line, do you?) Your feet give you a reference to where the runway is and can help keep you oriented in the big picture.

Last, when the plane gets high and far away, don't do anything really drastic. Start a gentle turn and you can see what's happening in an instant. For instance, if you give left aileron and it goes to your right, then it is headed toward you. If it's going away, then left will be left, etc. Be aware that this situation often involves letting the wind have the airplane, and it obligingly blows away.

I used to fly at a site that was inside the pattern at an Air Force training base. When the Tweet and T-38 traffic was heavy, you could find yourself trying to fly a jet. Talk about disorientation!

Kelvin
Old 03-29-2004, 12:57 AM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome back Rugrad,

Very good advice here. I'll second the simulator.

One thing that I see students do that could be avoided: Don't fly overhead. Keep the plane out in front of you. When you fly overhead, no one can tell if it's going up or down.

As you bring your plane closer in, it will be easier to see what it's doing.

Also, as tailskid is saying, try to anticipate your next move by being mindful of your current move. Envision how the plane should react to your next input. At a slower speed, it shouldn't be too difficult to reverse your input should the plane react in the opposite manner.

Another thought I'll add is to fly the plane, don't let it fly you. Always have a set path in mind while you're in the air, and try to fly that path. I think you'll progress much quicker that way.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also teach the "Over the shoulder" method, but I don't know what birdnest is talking about with the transmitter.

Just hold the Tx like you always do, but turn your back to the oncoming plane, and look over your shoulder at it. This, and/or the "Point stick toward low wing" method are probably the two most widely used techniques.

Good Luck!
Old 03-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Stew99

This is all very good advice. I had the same problem when I got back into the hobby after not flying for a number of years. Your eves will deceive you very often especially at long distances and in adverse lighting. For me it helps to keep a mental picture of what the airplane is doing and try to stay with the orientation I think the plane is supposed to be in versus what my eves are telling me. Usually this only lasts for a second or two until I can see the plane correctly. This helps me from over-reacting everytime the plane looks like it's doing something strange.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:17 AM
birdnest

Same thing, kinda. I like to have students keep their feet parallel to the flight line and just hold the transmitter to one side or the other. If they turn with their feet toward (or away from) the model, they tend to stay forget to return to the normal stance. Really, as long as your hands are positioned on the transmitter as if you were inside the cockpit of the plane, it will work.

Peter
Old 03-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Bob101

Just put yourself inside the plane - thinking wise. Worked for me.

/shrug
Old 03-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Live Wire

No matter what every one tells you to do it takes practice! Then it will grow on you and it will be automatic. You will be nervious at first , and later you will be scared to death but boy do we have a great time! Welcome Back and fly the wing off it .
Old 03-30-2004, 04:25 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

You dissorientation may be mostly a visual problem, especially if you are older. I find many people let the plane get so far away it is difficult for anyone to see. Keep it close and consider upgrading to a larger plane.

Tom
Old 03-30-2004, 05:16 PM
CougarRules

I think the most important piece of advice my instructor gave me was to always remember your last command if you do that you already know which way the aircraft is pointing, also never take your eyes of the aircraft to look at your tranny you will be surprised what changes in attitude can happen in a split seccond. As for propping up a wing i never bothered with that i always found it easier to imagine myself in the cockpit but do whatever works best for you hope this helps Lee.

Also as greenbot said your vision may not be up to scratch i am only slightly short sighted but i always wear glasses for flying even though i dont for driving! Maybe if you keep getting disorientated you may need to go for an eye test? just a thiought but you propably just suffereing with newbies disorientation...
Old 03-30-2004, 05:40 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

I had problems with orientation going from high wing aircraft to low wing aircraft. What I did that helped tremendously was my color scheme. Broad strips on the bottom are easy to see, even at a distance. The top of the wing is blue until the spar and then white. It is very easy to tell the difference.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34317.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	117011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22485.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	117012  
Old 03-30-2004, 05:47 PM
CougarRules

What plane is that John i quite like the look of that.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:35 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a Sig Four Star.

Eric
Old 03-30-2004, 07:36 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Yup