Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Shipping damage, PLEASE HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Shipping damage, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Viper Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping damage, PLEASE HELP!

I received an ARC pattern plane recently that arrived damaged. The box didn't show much damage, but the manufacturer claimed that it was UPS, and I had to send it back so they could get insurance from UPS. Fast forward three weeks, after several unanswerd emails, the company finally tells me that UPS rejected the initial claim, and that they were trying again to get another claim. They also said I could pay for another airplane while this gets sorted out.

I guess my question is has anyone dealt with UPS claims? It was insured, shouldn't I get another airplane for that?

This was also the second kit I got, the first one was so crooked, it was unusable. I payed for an almost ready to cover airplane in December and have nothing to show for it in April. I could have built the kit by now. Shouldn't I get some kind of rebate for that?

Can anyone give advice?
Old 04-03-2004, 01:14 AM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Shipping damage, PLEASE HELP!

FedEx...They take the drama out of shipping. ;-) And have never broken one of my planes. If they tell you they don't ship fedex just refuse to buy from them again they will find away. Seriously fedex is the way to go. Having see both the UPS and FedEx hubs I will never send anything UPS again.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:30 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Obviously you were not dealing with Tower.... You'd have had the replacement in 4 days. (they usually ship the replacement as soon as they have confirmation UPS has the original on the way back.)

Whoever you are dealing with... they have your airplane. The insurance will be paid to THEM... they need to send you a replacement. If you bought it by credit card. You should cancel your order... and call the credit card company tell them what is going on and tell them you want the charge canceled.

Then deal with someone that gives decent customer service.

UPS around here... you don't want to see the truck because you know the box has been bounced around like a basketball.. stomped on, and maybe driven over just for kicks.

Tower reshipped one order to me 7 times before they figured out that UPS was going to thrash it every time. Fed Ex got it through without a crease or mark on the box.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:27 AM
woodbutcher

Just for the record, telling you to ship it back was totally bogus. A UPS claim is made at the point of receipt. No matter what, the shipper should have made this right a long time ago.
Do what FHHuber says, these people are yanking your chain. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:31 AM
Jerry Sigur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your money back!
You are being had.
Jerry
Old 04-03-2004, 09:45 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it worth, I switche to FedEx Ground for anything I ship. They damaged one package, but paid the claim with very minor hitches, so I will continue to use them. UPS scares me to death!!.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Viper Driver

I will switch to FedEX in the future, but unfortunatlly, it has already been broken by UPS. Thanks for the advise everyone...these guys seem to be trying to play hardball with me, and since they have the airplane and the money, they have the leverage. I never would have thought and R/C company would be out to screw me, but they are!
Old 04-05-2004, 05:52 AM
woodbutcher

Viper

If you can't get the credit card company to help you out how about telling these guys to send you the plane you paid for and let them sort it out with UPS. Tell them TODAY would be a good day to send it. Let them know that your sure that this is just a misunderstanding so far. But , after 2 planes, $'s out and nothing to show for it you'd like to share with the many thousands of users of RCU the name of the company that really did the right thing! Keep at it, they're hoping to wear you down and that you'll go away. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:16 AM
SDR-Hammer

To throw in my .02 cents, it sounds like they did a portion of the right thing. Getting the kit back from you to deal with the shipper is noble but a replacement should have gone out the door as soon as they received the damaged one.

If this is there second strike, I wouldn't give them a chance for a third.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Viper Driver

I didn't even think about it at the time, but back in December when I paid for the airplane, I paid with a check. I guess that limits some of my options. I hate to think of legal action, but $1000 is not pocket change. The manufacturer has told me that they only guarantee the airplane as it leaves the factory, so it is up to the shipper to pay the insurance, which I understand. The thing that really iritates me is that they won't send another airplane unless I pay for it, then, when UPS pays up, they would reimburse me. YEAH RIGHT! I may be slow, but I am not that stupid!

Thanks for the help and letting me vent.

Jeff
Old 04-05-2004, 11:56 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Share the name of the company with us so that everyone knows.

It is not your problem that it was damaged by the shipper, that is bull ****, they don't have any right to hold your money.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:27 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

They guarantee it out the factory. If it wasn't damaged much on the outside how do you know it was good leaving the factory. You are being too patient. If you do reveal the name they WILL lose thousands in orders, so talk gently but point them at this thread. They are absolutely wrong. A new package should be in your hands. I would have lost control before this. They have no idea what customer service is. They have the plane your money and they want you to trust them. BALONEY!
I'm as upset as you are and it's not my model. Please do more to get them to move on this!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:39 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Now you've also got me a bit pi$$ed off also! Tell them that they have one chace left and to send the kit or you will go public with their name and what has happened. I might suggest that if you do this to keep it from becoming being a flame, just state the facts and back them up with dates and figures. It's against the rules here at RCU to flame someone but word also has to get out about this lousy customer service![:@]
Old 04-06-2004, 07:26 AM
woodbutcher

Viper
If I understand correctly, this is an ARF insured for $1,000? If so this ARF box would have had to been put into a shipping box with at least 2" of foam p-nuts around it. If not, there is no way UPS will pay on that claim, even if the proper procedures had been followed and they came out to you to inspect it. Hardball time. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:01 AM
SDR-Hammer

Just because you paid with a check doesn’t mean you’re out of luck this is also mail fraud! Personally I would contact this company one last time with a phone call followed up with a certified letter to cancel the order and a threat to reveal their name and your experience on the most popular Internet message board. If a complete refund isn’t received within the specified time frame, I would attack with help of the USPS.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:38 PM
hookedonrc

I hope everything works out, but if not, I would like the name of the company as well. Last year, I had an Ultra Stick 60 with broken ribs in it. I called Horizon Hobby and they sent out another wing set immediately, and didn't even ask for the damaged ones back. Well they shipped with the same carrier (Who?.....yep UPS) and they arrived with more broken ribs than the first. Once again I called and they agreed to send out another set. Although it took quite a while (due to delays during yearly inventory) they made good without the second set having to be sent back. Well the 3rd time was a charm and Horizon made me a supporter from then on. I am like others here, I vote with my feet. If one company has a problem supporting the customer, there are others that don't. I move on.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:38 AM
jettstarblue

Sooooo, who IS this company? They already have delt enough crap to have the name......come on give it up!!

Jetts
Old 04-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Viper Driver

Well, I called the company and they have already shipped another airplane. I hope this one is good! As far as the name of this company, if you really want to know, PM me. Since I still don't have a good plane yet, I don't want to make a difficult situation worse by throwing their name out in public.

Thanks for the help guys,

Jeff
Old 04-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Viper

I hope the new plane arrives in good shape for you. I know that different people have different experience with any company, but I'll also share that I had good luck with Global hobby. I bought a Sportsman Waco 30 ARF from a LHS and din't notice the cowl had a small crack until I got it home. I e-mailed Global to ask their opinion on the best way to fix the crack and what colors the trim were so I could do an exact match. Their only question was what color is it and I had a brand new cowl in hand less than a week later for $0.

Duke
Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Viper Driver

Duke,

That is what I like to see in this hobby. I have had two of three instances of bad customer service in the last few years and it really aggravates me.