Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servos - Decisions Decisions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servos - Decisions Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 02:53 PM
Banks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos - Decisions Decisions

I know I can ask 50 different people about servo preference and get 50 different responses, but I thought I would ask the folks at RCU anyway.

I am building a couple of planes; one being a Yellow P-40 and the other a Yellow F-16. Both will use standard size servos with control surfaces using high torque servos . Understanding quality and dependability are the concerns, what do you folks recommend?

Should I be looking at using coreless, ball bearing?
Are there any major quality differences between Futaba and Hitec?

Both planes are my first quality kits. I would like to ensure I am using quality components to complete them as my servo knowledge is limited to the $12-$15 standard servos bought at any mom & pop hobby store.

Thanks in advance for your response,

Banks
Old 12-31-2002, 06:46 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like DAD servos. Lots of power and easy on the wallet.

http://users.aol.com/DADRC/servos.html
Old 12-31-2002, 07:18 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the jet you should go Coreless because of their better centering capability. For the P-40, check out the Tower servos for good price and quality. They are all rebadged servos from other manufacturers.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:42 PM
TerrellFlyer

I us name brand servo's only ,a high % of wreaks at the clubs I fly go back to cheap servos stripping or glitching,is the savings of a couple of bucks for servos worth the chance of crashing the plane?
Old 12-31-2002, 07:52 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tower 65 is a hitec 605, etc. These are brand name servos.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Stik-n-Rdr

Default RE: Servos - Decisions Decisions

Little late on a response to this thread but I agree with Flyfalcons. I started using Tower's Standard & BB flight packs about six months ago and haven't had a single problem. Matter of fact, I'm getting ready to outfit my new Great Planes Extra 300S 160 ARF with their "High Torque" Flight pack (77oz torque per) and the Tower Hobbies TS-70MG S2K Super-Torque 2BB Servo U for the rudder, using a standard BB servo for the throttle. No worries!!!!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:01 PM
phread59

Default RE: Servos - Decisions Decisions

Banks, I like to use Hitec servo's. I fly Futaba radio's. For the jet, either hi torque coreless or digitals. My own suggestion personally would be digitals. The jet is high speed and you will need the precision of coreless or digital. I just think digitals would be better in this application.

In the warbird I would use high torque models. Around 100 inches of torque. For the rudder and the elevator maybe 120 inches of torque.

I do not trust the cheapie servo's. In a trainer or a simple sport plane they will work fine. But your planes deserve better. And especially the jet kit. It definately needs quality servo's. And I would advise a good battery pack. SR makes some real nice packs. A little expensive, but worth the peace of mind. Good luck with both kits.

Mark Shuman