Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What engine to use?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What engine to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 02:09 AM
Wounded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine to use?

I just bought a Great Planes Extra 300S 0.60 size (Requires: 2-stroke .61-.91 cu in (10-15 cc) or 4-stroke .91-1.20 cu in (15-20 cc) engine)

What engine should I use with it and why?

Thanks Jeff
Old 04-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Azcat59

Default RE: What engine to use?

I have this plane with a Magnum 91 two stroke, and like it. A Super Tigre 90 would also be good. It would be weak with a 61 in it. I will leave the four stroke recommendations to those who run them and like them.

Clair
Old 04-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Wounded

I was looking a running a 4 stroke, but I need more input
Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a YS 110 four stroke. You won't be disappointed. Mine runs perfectly and idles at a rock steady 2K rpm with only 32 oz of fuel through the engine. Check it out: [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/h9_corsair/movies/idling.mpg]YS 110FZ Idling[/link].

In fact, all three of my 110's are like this.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:36 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Go anywhere in the middle to upper range of the recommended 4-stroke engine size.

O.S. FS-II series 4-strokes are VERY nice for learning about 4-strokes with. They will spoil you. I went 20 months without needing to touch my needle valve on my .91. (which has the power to take an 11 lb airplane unlimited vertical without using full throttle... so much power... I have to FORCE myself to use more than 2/3 throttle any more.)

MAgnum 4-strokes are much less expensive and everone that I know that has one is very happy with thiers... Probably not bad as a first 4-stroke.

YS and Saito are not as forgiving about needle settings. They generally need a little tweaking with weather changes. They do give more power per cubic inch than the O.S. They are more expensive and repair parts are more expensive... Great engines, but I don't consider them good for a first 4-stroke.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:11 AM
Wounded

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

Get a YS 110 four stroke. You won't be disappointed. Mine runs perfectly and idles at a rock steady 2K rpm with only 32 oz of fuel through the engine. Check it out: [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/h9_corsair/movies/idling.mpg]YS 110FZ Idling[/link].

In fact, all three of my 110's are like this.
Do you run a onboard fuel pump with your 4 stroke?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never run onboard fuel pump or onboard glow with any of my 4-strokes. Those just add weight and are extra things to worry about. I only fly with pumped OS 4-strokes and YS 4-strokes, and since YS 4-strokes are supercharged and pressurize the fuel tank, there is no need or desire to use onboard fuel pump.

By the way, I find YS much more easier to tune than both OS and Saito. Once my needles are set, I don't touch them again. Of course, your mileage might varry. It took me 30 seconds to tune that YS 110 in the video given above after two tanks of fuel on the bench. Good luck trying to do the same to any other 4-strokes.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Wounded

Thank you for your input