Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Major help needed with GSP Yak54!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Major help needed with GSP Yak54!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:22 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major help needed with GSP Yak54!

Man, am I frustrated. A while back I was passing Hobbies and Helis (Giant Scale Planes) in Coopersberg, PA and I stopped in. They had just gotten in the 72" Yak54 and I just had to have it. So, I bought it. A couple of weeks later I came across a nice Saito 180 at a swap meet so I purchased that also so I then had an engine for the new Yak. This engine was larger than the recommended 140 4 stroke but I figured what the heck, I'll mount the elevator servos in the tail instead of using the wooden pushrod setup that came with the plane. I figured that the elevator servos were behind the CG in the stock setup so how much could it upset things. The building went well and I am actually impressed with the quality of the model considering some of the negative feedback about GSP and Irwin, the owner.

Anyway, the model is finished except for the balancing. Even with the Saito 180 mounted as far front as possible, it would take 42.5 ounces of weight as far front as possible to get this thing to balance! Thats over 2.6 pounds! Does anyone have any suggestion as what to do? I have the battery and the reciever mounted near the fuel tank and can't move anything else around. Should I just add the 42.5 ounces and fly it?

Also posted under ARFs.

Regards to all,
Jim
Old 04-11-2004, 05:19 PM
phread59

Default RE: Major help needed with GSP Yak54!

Racer I cannot help you with the balance problem. But I see you are from Macunjie. I'm from Shamokin. Were practicly neighbors. I go to the sreet rod show down there every year. Great show, I just wanted to say howdy to someone from central PA. good luck with this plane. BTW where is this hobby shop? I've been to Trains and Lanes a few times but never heard of this shop.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-11-2004, 05:27 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,
Any way you can move the elevator servos up front again? I know it's obvious, so I'm guessing you don't think you can.

The other option might be to mount a larger battery pack up in the cowl. At least SOME of that weight would be useful.
Dennis-
Old 04-11-2004, 07:33 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Mark,

Shamokin, I know where that is. About 1.5 hours or so from here, right? The Hobbies and Helis shop is on Route 309 in Coopersburg on the northbound side. Set back a bit in a very small strip mall. They sell the Giant Scale Planes and Quick heli lines and have some Futaba, Hitec and JR radio stuff in stock. But all and all I's say that Trains and Lanes has more little harware pieces and such than Hobbies and Helis. Actually, the best store for RC flight around is in Tamaqua called Props and Wheels. BTW, I fly at Tri County Wingsnappers in Lenhartsville (www.tcws.org). Where do you fly?

And Dennis,
Also, I moved the servos back to the original places and the plane balanced right in the money. I was going to fly it yesterday but I wasn't confident in some of the areas of the plane like how the cowl attached and some other minor issues so I am going to spend this week going over it and will hopefully fly this weekend.

Thanks for the help guys,
Jim