Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Rx-Tx for second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rx-Tx for second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 06:21 PM
singinrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx-Tx for second plane?

I recently purchased a second plane and was wondering the best way to go on the receiver/transmitter system for it. Should I buy a complete system to install in it or just purchase another receiver and the correct frequency chip that matches my transmitter? I am very comfortable with my tx and this way I would have one tx that would work with both planes. I could even add a third plane and still use my same tx. I don't think I will be flying both at the same time. How do most fliers do it?
rick
mt sterling ky
Old 04-10-2004, 06:35 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rx-Tx for second plane?

If you are happy with one TX I would stick with it and just buy the bits to go in your new plane.

If you are not using a computer transmitter with trim memory then you have to be a little careful with the setup. Try and mechanically adjust the plane linkages so that the model is trimmed with the transmitter trims in the middle. This means that when you fly the other plane you know it will still be in trim.

Also don't forget to check your servo reversing switches (and other things like dual rates if you have them)
Old 04-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Just get another receiver on the same freq as your TX and you will be OK
Old 04-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: singinrock
How do most fliers do it?
In the low end (non-computer, 4 to 6 channels), the "flight packs" (servos, receiver, switch and battery) cost almost the same as the entire package, so the transmitter is essentially free. So, my guess is for the first couple of planes, most fliers buy a whole new system. They figure they can always use the extra transmitter for a buddy box some day, or sell it, or keep it around if the other one dies. Also, if you fly at a crowded field, it's sometimes nice to have two different frequencies you can fly on. And, as siclick33 mentioned, with non-computer radios, it can be VERY difficult to switch between planes.

Once you move up to a more expensive computer transmitter, then most fliers go with the flight pack, since it's a lot cheaper than a new transmitter. A lot of guys have accumulated a bunch of servos and switches, so it's really just the receiver they need, and the computer radio makes it much easier to switch between planes.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:11 PM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

If you're going for a second TX, and you know you're in the hobby for good, then consider getting a higher end computer radio with multiple model memory. From then on, just get the flight packs.

When I began, I started collecting low end tx/rx packages for the very same reason Mike in DC described. I now have a couple of tx's I won't use again, but the receivers and servos I'll still use.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:48 PM
singinrock

patternwannabee
That is what i had thought to do when I got serious into the hobby. I have been in the hobby for 40 years but in the "60's" radios were expensive, bulky, and not tooo reliaable. I will be going to a computer set-up later down the road but for now I am doing well with a Hitec system. I started with control line and stayed in it for years, building all my planes up to 50 inch spans and flying every maneuver you can do while still attached to a thin pair of cables. I step out the back door and fly r/c all i want to at the farm. I am paving my driveway and now I will have a good place for take-offs and landings. Pastures are nice for cattle but rough on small planes.
rick
mt sterling ky
Old 04-11-2004, 08:18 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way.

Buying a flight pack (without Tx) WILL cost about the same as a standard 4 channel package that includes one, but I'd also agree with buying a low end computer radio like the Futaba 6 EXA. It's available for under $170 complete and will store 6 models.
Dennis-
Old 04-11-2004, 11:26 AM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

Singinrock,

I am very jealous of your farm/paved driveway setup. It takes me an hour to drive to my field, not to mention loading and unloading the car.

I started with a Futaba standard 4 channel, then went to a Hitec Focus-6 (Price was negligibly higher than a flight pack). I then decided to go to a low-end computer FM in the Hitec Flash-5. I was very happy with this setup for a few years (again $ negligibly more than just a flight pack). Last year I went with the Futaba 8UAP around $400... for the PCM and enhanced mixing functions. Most of my systems are on the same channel, so now I don't really have a need for 3 txs. I wonder how long I'll go before I get one of the $1,000 systems.

Actually, I use 1 tx for a buddy box when I bring a friend to the field, and another I use dedicated to my engine test stand, but I only use my best one for flying.

In retrospect had I gone with the 8UAP from the beginning, I would have saved a little $, but it's hard to justify spending that much especially when I didn't know what all those little switches do.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:02 PM
phread59

My suggestion would be to go for a computer radio. The lower end ones are quite inexpensive. The extra features areorth the money. You also get multiple model memorys. So you can fly many planes with one transmitter. Good luck whichever way you go.

Mark Shuman