Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Saito FA 90t in a Giantscale P-26 Peashooter?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Saito FA 90t in a Giantscale P-26 Peashooter?

Old 04-19-2004, 04:17 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito FA 90t in a Giantscale P-26 Peashooter?

I just picked up a Giantscale Planes 71" wing P-26 Peashooter ( Plane not finished yet ) It came with a Saito FA 90t flat twin. Motor seems very heavy, need to do my research about power to weight... Just wonder opinion on plane with motor... ( Yes I know aobut the nose over landing gear problems...) Just looking for people who have flown the Peashooter or used the Saito 90t. any prop and or set up sugestions... Never owned a twin...
Old 04-19-2004, 04:19 PM
BULL-RCU

Default RE: Saito FA 90t in a Giantscale P-26 Peashooter?

ORIGINAL: BULL-RCU

I just picked up a Giantscale Planes 71" wing P-26 Peashooter ( Plane not finished yet ) It came with a Saito FA 90t flat twin. Motor seems very heavy, need to do my research about power to weight... Just wonder opinion on plane with motor... ( Yes I know aobut the nose over landing gear problems...) Just looking for people who have flown the Peashooter or used the Saito 90t. any prop and or set up sugestions... Never owned a twin...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69889.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	124095  
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2004, 08:44 PM
phread59

Bull I am going out on a limb here. These are opinions I fthat the combo you have will not work well if at all. The plane is a big bird at 72". And that big round nose ect. has a lot of drag. I read that the Saito twins don't have the power of the singles. I would venture to say that a 120 would have a job to fly that plane. I would guess at maybe a 150 would do it. I hope someone with some experience with that engine will chime in. They are a very nice engine. I just feel that it will not be enough.

Mark Shuman
Old 04-23-2004, 09:56 PM
BULL-RCU

I baught this plane used and still not together... The person building it put it on there ran it but never took it in the air. I have the same opinionas you and thats why I ask the opinion. Though it is a great motor, it seems to me to be to heavy for the plane in comparison to the power output. I have a Gee Bee with a bigger front then that but with the basic same design and it is designed around the 120. I'm sure that would be enough. Might have to find something else to put it in.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Ray S.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a YS 91 in my GSP P-26..
It's plenty of power. The problem that I had was that the landing gear are pretty far back, and they are too soft. So even if you leave the pants off and bend the gear forward, the airplane still wants to nose over.
When I get some spare time I'm going to add a brace to the gear. It's too nice looking not to fly it more than I have so far.

Ray
Old 04-24-2004, 08:20 PM
BULL-RCU

Hi Ray

I have talked to a bunch of people about that problem... It will never be totally gone. The best cure I have found so far is to solder a brace onto the back side of the landing gear . Don't attach the pants to the wings. Place a very thin peice of ply or balsa under the wheel pant at the wind side to fill the gap. tape the pant in place. Make sure the whell is lined up where you want. Then fill the pant 3/4 of the way full with expandable foam. Actually less then half full and let it expand to 3/4 full. People are doing this with the Gee bees and the Stukas... and it seems to help alot. After it sets it makes for a very solid landing gear... Won't help with the nose over so make sure you have the gear as far forward as possible.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:52 PM
[email protected]

bull-rcu, i too just bought a peashooter (cmp) from alix @ ak-models.com. installed the hinges using dubro with the manditory toothpick. now i am bending spruce stringers for the "squishy" fues. i will be using a saito 91 with a 14 x 8 simitar prop. seems the secret is to carve as much as possible from the fake engine plastic insert,so you get "some" thrust through the cowel. if you go to www.peashooter.net you will see that the wheel pants should be right on the leading edge of the wing, not the way the kit has them. do solder a 5/32 braceing wire to the main gear strut and anchor it as far back in the pant as possible to a ply plate glued to the underside of the wing, and position the wheel as far forward as possible in the pant, and foam the pant. mike