Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

pinning

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Flying Scotsman 70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinning

how do you pin your plane to the plan. Never done this before! do you put the pin through the balsa or kind of sandwhich it between pins please help photos would help if you have any thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 12:34 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: pinning

Hi FS 70 - What I do first is cut my plans up so only what I'm working on is on the flat building board. I then use some scotch tape and tape the plans to the board in an area I'm going to be comfortable working. After sorting your sticks out read your building plans and start laying the balsa sticks over the oulines on the plan. When you have it where you want it start pinning through the balsa. I like to start at one end and work towards the other in most cases. This allows me to align those slightly warped pieces out straight on the plans as I go. About the only pin I like are the T-pins, easy on the thumbs going in and easy to twist a little if needed to get out.

Sorry, I know you only asked where to pin. I pin through the balsa.

I think if you click on my profile and then click on my home RC site, go to pictures and then look for an album called 4 star 60 build. I think I have some different pics of wings and stabs pinned to the board.

Good Luck and Happy Building.

Gregg
Old 04-27-2004, 03:05 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

OK, here's what I do:

Lay the plans out flat, so you can build. Lay teh plans out on somsething that will tack pins (with little force) such as wall board / gyp-rock / sheet rock. The dining room table is out of the question!

Lay out the plans, and cover them with wax paper or Saran wrap (being English, you probably would use 'cellophane' instead! Something to protect teh plans form glueing.

lay down your first spar. Most time,s you can stick a pin through the spar, to pin it in place. Depending on the spar, teh length, etc.. you can use as few as 2 pins, or load it up!!

TIP: line up the spar, flush with an edge (some kits prefer being flush in the center, wher teh wings glue togetherm, soem teh wing tip..) and line up teh spar with one line, the front or teh rear line denoting the spar. Pin in place. Then, with a straightedge held against the spar, pin the spar. the straightedge ensures the spar is pinned straight.

Some spars are too thick or too hard to try and puch a pin through. you can 'straddle' the spar with two pins, making an 'X' over the spar.

When pinning ribs, you push one pin in form one side, and another form teh other side, again, maiking a kind of 'X'. The pins cross each other in teh rib. space them out slightly, so teh pins aren't in the same hole. This does take a bit of practice, as you pin one side, teh rib is crooked, then you pin teh other side, and the rib has moved...

(Hope teh picture helps!! a quick draw!!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26624.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	126877  
Old 04-27-2004, 04:32 PM
FHHuber
Banned

There are also devices called "Pin Clamps" which slide onto the pin. These things fit the pin VERY tightly and you push the pin directly beside the thing being held down. The device is slid down the pin to apply the pressure. You alternate which side of the longe sticks the pins are on and these will hold the wood down firmly with no marring at all. (no pinholdes. not little indents at the corners as with the angled pins)

You can use small pieces of scrap wood to act as the pin clamps.. also you can cut appx 1/4 to 1/2 inch circles from butter tub lids and they will serve the same purpose.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:33 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Where possible(and in most situations it is) I pin beside the piece using T-pins that basically clamp the piece to the board, or to the piece your gluing too. With the modern glues of today, there's no reason to put pin-holes in your work. Why would you put a pin-hole in any area that wouldn't need it? No pin-holes unless absolutely necessary. My 2cents.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:17 AM
CafeenMan

Like FHHuber said, Pin Clamps are beautiful things. They're hard to find, but it's worth the search. They're made by Rocket City. The butter tub idea might work well. I haven't tried it, but I have used a hole punch to make them from 1/32" plywood and they work very well.

You can see pin clamps in use and more details about making your own on this page:

http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...tools/tips.htm