Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hinging tape

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 06:30 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinging tape

I'm putting together a lightweight electric flyer for a friend and the instructions say to attach the control surfaces with hinge tape. I can't find the matching color so I was thinking about using a strong clear tape. Has anyone used clear tape successfully for hinging and if so, which tape did you use. If someone has a better idea, I'd like to hear about that too.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 04-29-2004, 08:17 PM
bojangle

Default RE: Hinging tape

Don't use the regular "Scotch" tape, it will come off. Use the clear packing tape, very sticky stuff. You have to cut to the width you need. If you run the tape full length, then you have to put a taper on one side of the moving part (elevator or rudder). Tape the flat sides first, then fold the moving part completely over the stationary part, then tape around the hinge line. This way you have tape on both sides.

Another way to hinge is to use a strip of the same covering material you used and iron it on. We use this method often with Ultracote. This will show up less than tape, and is pretty permanent. If you have to replace, say, a damaged elevator, just cut the hinge line and iron on the new part.

If you have any problem with this, I will try to find a sketch of the procedure.

BO
Old 04-29-2004, 11:38 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Hinging tape

Clear packing tape all the way. The appx $3 a roll "Duck" clear is perfect for the job. the $1 a roll cheapie stuff will work... but its adhesive is intollerant of UV and will eventually release the tape. (it takes a LONG time on a model... 2 weeks if you tape something to the south side of a trailer)