Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Canopy and window glue?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Canopy and window glue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy and window glue?

Does epoxy work for gluing canopies and windows, without marring the surface or hazing? How about Testors Clear Cement, would it stick well to the wood/monokote/plastic? I have read here that CA is bad for plastic windows. What other easily accessible glues would do the job? It's very hard for me to order things at this time. Thanks[8D]
Old 04-30-2004, 08:37 AM
krokko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Canopy and window glue?

DONT use CA on plastic film, I did and I'm sorry! I'm now using R/C modellers Craft Glue from Deluxe Material, it works fine. White when applied and turn transparent when dry.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:41 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Clear silicone fort tubes & tiels works too, only drag is teh smell, and teh l-o-n-g cure time..

There's also a dedicated 'canopy glue' Sig 65 / formula 65?? soemthign like that.. never used it, but have a bottle. Really runny white stuff..
Old 04-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Irish R.Seer
My Feedback: (1)

I use Zap Formula 560 canopy glue available at LHS. It's white runny stuff but it dries clear and sticks very well.
Bill
Old 04-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoops...

That middle of the thread advertisement confused me again!
Old 04-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

J&Z R/C-56 Glue.

Glues Butrate canopies to Monokote and it's good on foam, fiberglass and plastic, too.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Does anyone just use small screws, like servo screws or similar? It seems to me that would look a lot cleaner.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Gringo, for the windshield that's fine, but for the other 8 windows that's a little hard to do since they mount from the inside of the fuse. (Hangar 9 J3-Cub) The windshield, although glued, is also held by screws.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:36 PM
J_R

The "56" glues are what you want.

RTV/Goop/Silicone will work, but, be careful. If you get it on anything it does not belong on, acetone is one of the few things what will remove it. Acetone would destroy the windows. Epoxy will work, but turns yellowish.

At least the "56" glues and epoxy can be cleaned up with alcohol which will not destroy the windows. Just be sure to get the excess off before setup occurs.

If you chose epoxy, it would be wise to rough up the frame area of the windows with some fine wet and dry sandpaper to give it some "tooth".
Old 04-30-2004, 08:25 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some special canopy glue. Cant remember what brand but had "worlds best canopy glue" on the bottle..... and they would not lie. I am 99.9% sure it is just white carpenters glue. Works well though, but even thought it dries clear you can still see it.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:04 AM
J_R

If it fits the scheme of things, get some Testors paint for plastic and paint a trim line around the bottom of the canopy. Then when you glue it, the gule won't show. Clean off the outside before setup with alcohol.

Primodus

One other thougt would be Weld-Bond. They claim it sticks anything to anything... which it won't, but, I have used it to glue some plastics together. If it is available locally, you might want to try some on a scrap of canopy plastic and a covered piece of balsa and see how it works out. It's inexpensive.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:14 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess what? I've used that 560 canopy glue before and it's messy and takes a week to fully dry. Just get those little screws that you use to hold in your servos and put 6-8 of them equally spaced to hold down the canopy. It works PERFECTLY. I'll never use glue again. BTW, that 560 canopy glue is good for Robart hinge points and other things, not just canopies.

And of course it's best to treat the screw holes with thin CA so the wood grabs the screws really well.