Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

battery location

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

battery location

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 09:00 PM
dragos_cscc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery location

well i know some people mount the batteries in the back of the fuselage, near the tail to achieve ballance without the use of additional weight. well when it comes time to replace the batteries, wich it will,... eventually, do they just cut the covering to get to it? is that the trade off?

anybody know any other tricks for a nose heavy plane?

thanks

D
Old 05-03-2004, 12:45 AM
theHarpmanDan

Default RE: battery location

just cut this time and use rechargables?

dan
Old 05-03-2004, 01:36 AM
J_R

What kind of plane and what type of engine?

If the plane is still going to need tail weight, build a hatch for the battery.

Move all servos back as far as possible. Use a mini servo on throttle, if the servo is in the front. If you can put it behind the cg, use a full size servo. Reciever back as far as possible. Switch back as far as possible. Use a plastic spinner or a prop nut instead of an aluminium spinner. Lite wheels. Lighter muffler.Heavier tail wheel or lighter nose wheel. Anything useful rather than adding lead.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:57 PM
bojangle

One note of caution on battery placement. You should not place the battery behind the receiver unless well secured. In a crash, the battery is a heavy missile wiping out everything in its path.

It doesn't take much lead in the tail to correct a nose heavy plane. I would opt for the lead.
BO
Old 05-07-2004, 12:22 AM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

I have done this often with no problems...when building or even after completion if I find it necessary I build a box in bottom of fuselage at the rear and access it with a removable hatch. this has worked great with me. if removal becomes necessary or desirable you can drop the connection back down to the equipment switch through the formers or some have used paper tubes like used in wings to the aileron servos. remember to leave a small opening in the front of battery box to run the wire through.

happy flying
joe
Old 05-07-2004, 07:33 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Build a battery hatch in the back if you have too. Mine will never come loose. It's got 2 zip ties on it holding it down. It's more secure than any of my batteries. That story about it becoming a projectile? That can happen anywhere you put it if it's not secured well.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just cut an access hole, and instead of going through the hassle of making a hatch, cover the hole with Ultracote. When you need to get back in, reheat the patch and remove it.