Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel tank tubing too stiff

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel tank tubing too stiff

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 06:22 PM
bojangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank tubing too stiff

Years ago, the standard 3/32 ID fuel tubing was thin walled and pretty flexible. The tubing now supplied with fuel tanks, such as GP types, is thick walled, and too stiff. On the smaller size tanks, (4 and 6 oz) the line is short, when I turn the tank upside down, the clunk won't reach the "bottom" of the tank. I tried rotating the tubing, but can't get the clunk to reach each way. So if I stay inverted for more than a few seconds with less than a full tank, the engine dies.

I have tried GP, Aerotrend, Dubro, HPI, all too stiff. I'm using the heaviest clunk I can find.
I wrote GP, no response. Called Tower, they said they couldn't help me. I used to use clunks in small 4 oz tanks without this problem.

Does anyone know of a source for very flexible medium tubing for glo fuel ? Anyone else having this problem, or am I the only dummy? [&o]
Thanks
BO
Old 05-04-2004, 07:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Fuel tank tubing too stiff

How about adding some solder to the clunk to make it heavier?
Old 05-05-2004, 07:07 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Hi,

I went through the same thing a while back and after some searching and testing I found the Sullivan fuel tubing to be the best for this purpose.

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Fuel...sMainFrame.htm

You can use their .067 I.D. tubing (S201) for a very flexible set up up or their 3/32 I.D. tubing which works just as well for me. I like it so much that I bought a spool of it. The only caution is with the .067 I.D. tube. They say you can use it on "barbs" up to 1/8" diameter and I have, however, you are really stretching it at this point and if you are not careful, it can begin to split. I use it for the fuel pick up sometimes, but more often than not I use the 3/32 I.D. Line - it is flexible enough for my tanks.

Steve
Old 05-05-2004, 05:49 PM
bojangle

Steve
Thank you for jogging my old memory,,,Sullivan of course, how could I forget them. Used to use their tanks only, never had a klunk problem. I do remember that on a hard nose in, the klunk would actually end up in the front of the tank, the tubing was so flexible. I never had a "flameout" with Sullivan tubing.

Then I started using the GP tank, much easier to plumb and the front lip keeps the lines from kinking. Unfortunately GP tubing is thicker (.20 OD), ok for the bigger tanks but too stiff for the short lines. Also, the klunk inlet is too thick and doesn't drain the tank completely.

However, the thicker GP line can be bent in a tighter radius without kinking the ID.

Sullivan, (refreshed memory) , also has the "crap trap" and super (heavy) klunk. The klunk is tapered for more complete fuel pickup.

Again, thanks so much, I just ordered a 50 foot roll of the 3/32 and some super klunks.
I am in your debt

BO
Old 05-06-2004, 08:10 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

BO,

Glad I could help. After having to pick up the garbage left behind by our local bruin and finding a dead battery in my car before going off to work today, it's nice to know something positive happened - you made my day![8D]

Steve