Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What's the best way to make a hatch?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What's the best way to make a hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 08:15 AM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best way to make a hatch?

I need to put my battery pack in my GP venus as far back as possible in the fuse and I wanted to make a hatch to be able to access it. What's the best way? Obviously I need to cut the square piece of balsa from the fuse to make the hole, but do you use this same piece as the hatch or do you replace it with some lite ply? Also, how do you secure it back to the fuse? Are screws the best way?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:04 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: What's the best way to make a hatch?

I usually replace the cut out piece because its easier to go ahead and mangle the part you are removing, rather than try to get the clean, tight fitting cut and re-use the piece.

Sometimes I make the hatch from balsa... sometimes lite pley sometimes aircraft ply. Sometimes I use balsa and reinforce with spruce or ply...

I tend to put corner-screw blocks n the fuselage or wing (just like the ARF dual aileron hatches) and put a screw in each corner of the hatch. You can hinge the hatch with covering and make a spring latch. Whatever secures it adequately is fine.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:31 PM
higheronnitro

For a solid structure I use fiberglass
Cover the hatch area in film ( monocoat, oracover etc ) as a barrier. Over the top lay up a couple of layers of glass and once set you can gently remove. Cut out the shape of hatch and corresponding hole. Bingo one hatch that will conform to the shape of the surrounding structure. As for fixing I have found two small pieces of that rubbery fridge magnet glued to each surface works well ( bit of experimenting to get opposite poles ) I have seen those pop buttons they use on infants clothing used as well.
Regards Steve
Old 05-06-2004, 09:45 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the hatch area is flat:

1) Cut a hole

2) Add battery back and secure it in place

3) Cover hole with Ultracote. If you need to get back in, heat the ultracote and remove it, then, Iron it back down when finished.