Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo torque??

Old 05-07-2004, 01:08 PM
WindStalker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo torque??

I haven't come across any information yet on the proper size servos for any particular plane. I have this innate tendency to do things HEAVY DUTY, but I also don't want to break the bank either. Can anyone tell me if there is a general rule of thumb for servo torque requirements for say a 40,60, 1/4 scale size plane like a 300S?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:17 PM
danny03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo torque??

Really hard to say since a lot of your selection depends on the size of flight controls, airspeed, do a search in scratch built for an excel spreadsheet called servcalc. If you can not find it, give me your email and I will send you a copy...
Old 05-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo torque??

The manufacturer of the plane NORMALLY states how many oz torque servos are required. Since they make the plane, they should know what works best in it.

As a GENERAL RULE OF THUMB, standard servos (42 - 46 oz) are fine for general sport flying with a 40 - 60 size plane. Large control surfaces and/or high speeds and/or heavy duty aerobatics (3d type) will USUALLY require higher torque and/or metal gear servos. When you go to 1/4 scale the servo requirements USUALLY go up again.

There are exceptions to everything though. An example, I have a 1/4 scale PacificAero Gee Bee Y with an OS 160FX in it. The manufacturer calls for standard servos on the ailerons and elevator and a minimum of a 75 oz torque on the rudder. This is what I have put in the plane and it flys great - no problems at all.