Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC-56 Canopy Glue and Elmers Glue

I just opened my first bottle of RC-56 glue. I have used other means before to attach canopies and windows. I wanted to try RC-56.

I have a bottle of Elmers white glue on my workbench as well. The RC-56 looks exactly like Elmers. It smells exactly like Elmers. It spreads exactly like Elmers. It dries exactly like Elmers.

Gee, I wonder if it IS Elmers?

FWIW...
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC-56 Canopy Glue and Elmers Glue

I've never tried Elmers on canopies. You might test on a sample to see if it penetrates and holds, and dries clear. If I remember, Elmers dries sorta cloudy.

BO

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC-56 sets up somewhat flexible, and holds better on covering film than the alphatic resins.
    Roughening the gluing surface helps maintain the grip.
    Sparky Paul
    http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tall Paul is correct. I understand it is formulated to stick to plastics much better than other glues. It also dries flexible (this is good because of the vibration) and clear. Elmars does not dry clear, it is not flexible, and it surely doesn't stick to plastic.

Put a little elmars on a piece of scrap Monokote and let it dry. It will flake off.

Ryan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well good, I hope it is different. What I did was I spread a couple drops of each on a piece of scrap balsa. Possibly the RC-56 was slightly thinner in viscosity but not much. Anyway, I can test it after 24 hours cure which is what the RC-56 says it needs. I don't know about the clarity of Elmers. But I did use it to seal my antenna inside a tube so there was a glob of it at the end of the tube. I will check to see if it looks cloudy.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My apologies to the makers of RC-56. [sm=redface.gif]

I did another side by side comparison test, using a piece of clear Lexan. RC-56 is definitely thinner viscosity than Elmers. It dries relatively clear; Elmers dries opaque. RC-56 sticks to smooth plastic; Elmers comes off easily and completely.

There is a marked difference between the two.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've use RC-56 for years and even during some pretty violent crashes NONE of my canopies have come off. Be sure to shake it well before using it and make sure that both surfaces are clean and oil free. I have never roughened up the gluing surfaces since the tackiness and holding power of the glue is adequate. In many ways it bonds more like silicone than regular glue, great stuff.
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is there anyother alternatives to rc-56 that holds just as well and easier to attain--would hot glue work???Just a question?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hot glue will more than likely warp the canopy plastic due to heat. A really thin bead of silicone caulking also works if used sparingly.

Jason
    People are not excellent because they achieve great things; they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used RC56 a lot and it is a good glue for canopies for the reasons already mentioned. I have, however, found a glue that is much better. In its hobby guise it is marketed as PFM by Innovative Model Products. I have found that what PFM really is is an industrial adhesive known as E6000. Naturally, a tube of E6000 is much cheaper than the "repackaged" PFM. E6000 is already clear right out of the tube. Like R/C56 and silicone, when cured it remains flexible but is much harder/tougher. It's bond is also far stronger than either of the other 2. Likewise, it can be cleaned up with water before it cures.

I have found that large craft oriented stores carry E6000. In the St. Louis area there is a craft store chain called "Michaels" that has it as a regularly stocked item. I have also found E6000 at Home Depot. If you can't find it locally, you can get it here:

http://www.gluguru.com/Sealants.htm#e6100
    Steve Collins