Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Building boards

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Building boards

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Donnie7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building boards

I started out with good advice and bought a cheep 3/0 door from a builders square. It was true and straight,,, a good move. It worked ok and then I layered it with sheet rock and it was even better. A great building surface. I was wondering and asking if anyone has used the great planes building board they advertise. I don't know if I can better my building setup but I always have an open ear.
Donnie
Old 05-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Walfam
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Building boards

Hi,

You have a very good base to work with, now get some good old standard ceiling tiles, for handging ceilings, turn them upside down
and you have a very inexpensive pinning surface. I have 8 x 10 foot table set up this way and it is great. if the surface gets a
little worn, go get another ceilfing tile.

love buidling them.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:00 PM
squeeguk

Hi Donnie

Are you talking about the magnetic system? If so, so a search for magnetic or magnet and you will find quite a lot of info about it. Guys who have used it, swear by it and won't go back to pinning, etc.

Do a search and then let me know what you think. Also check out the link below, excellent site with really good tips and info.

[link]http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to/tools/magnetic_building_board/index.htm[/link]

Cheers

Luis
Old 05-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Donnie7

ORIGINAL: Walfam

Hi,

You have a very good base to work with, now get some good old standard ceiling tiles, for handging ceilings, turn them upside down
and you have a very inexpensive pinning surface. I have 8 x 10 foot table set up this way and it is great. if the surface gets a
little worn, go get another ceilfing tile.

love buidling them.
Walfam
Do you realy think ceiling tiles are better than sheet rock for holding the pins. Haven't tried it but like I said, I have an open ear. I have had my set up for years and had some good results. I will give ceiling tiles a try. I really want to know about the advertised building boards.
Thanks
Donnie
Old 05-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Donnie7

Just a note on magnets. check out rocklers. For a dollar a pop they have some awesome magnets. Don't know if they will work on a build system though. I have never thought about a magnet building system. Maybe its time to give it a look at. Seems that great planes magnet system is not a good deal. Thanks for the warning. Is there someone that puts together a realy good magnet kit?
Buying piece by piece is ok but,,, trial and error at best. Mostly error.
Donnie
Old 05-14-2004, 03:46 PM
squeeguk

Donnie, I myself have just recently gone and purchased a Great Planes magnetic building board system and can't wait to try it.

Yes, I could have gone cheaper and made some components and bought the magnets, but at the end of the day, I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and went with an established system. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I will probably end up changing things as I go.

As for magnets, apparently the best ones to use are the rare earth type.

Luis
Old 05-14-2004, 05:15 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

I build off of their building board. They work great for pinning and are very straight and true. Just got done with a Somethin Extra and it's very straight. I think they are 3/4 inch balsa. Very strong. When not using it I put it in my closet and stand it on end. Was cheap too. Those magnetic systems are really expensive. I don't think I can afford that when kits are not that big anymore and ARFs are getting cheapper and better every day.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:00 PM
dicknadine

Experience over the years of upscaling and scratch building--its hard to beat the hollow core door covered with- formed paper ceiling tiles. it provides a heck lot $$ for more balsa. plus you don't have to order it via $$$ UPS. stand it in corner behind a door, wife/girl friend won't know its there. dick
Old 05-26-2004, 11:15 PM
carrellh

I used the GP wooden building board when I built my PT-60 and was very happy with it. I bought the biggest one, 48" length, because my wing panels are about 36" and I wanted plenty of room.

I've bought a Tower Hobbies Uproar 60 kit for my second attempt at building, so my board will be getting a workout again soon.

I've attempted to attach a photo off my PT-60.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94487.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	136846  
Old 05-26-2004, 11:58 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Carrell, I have been using the same GP building board after some mod to ensure flatness irregardless of moisture condition. Here's an old link of how I braced it with aluminum bars. Very simple to do http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46.../tm.htm#464459