Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ABS seam filler???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ABS seam filler???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 04:32 PM
IMaflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS seam filler???

I have had a terrible time filling the seams on my cowling and wheelpants. They are made of ABS plastic, and the instructions call for the same filler I use on the wood parts of the plane. I'm on the 5th coat now and it still does not want to get smooth. It seems like the two materials just weren't made for each other. I've tried light spackling paste too. I'm getting a little better result, but still not great. What's the secret?!?!?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: ABS seam filler???

Bondo
Old 05-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Patriot

MinnFlyer, I know you are a very experienced builder, but I think I have a better idea for this one. You should really try this.

I have used Bondo before, and I honestly found something better, and easier to use.

It is called "Plastic Wood" made by DAP. It is perfect for ABS parts. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware etc. It is not two part, like Bondo. It is nice and thick, and very solid when dry. It also weighs more than balsa filler, so use sparingly and sand most of it away when dry.

Benefits:
-It is easy water clean up before it dries.
-It does not stink up the house.
-I thought it was easier to sand without loading the paper.
-Nice and thick, spreads evenly, and really sticks.
-Longer worktime than Bondo.
-It is fairly cheap, and a small tub lasts forever.

I did my Cowl with Bondo and it turned out ok, but left a few blemishes in the paint.

I did the wheel pants with Plastic Wood, and they turned out perfect, no lines or blemishes.

Try it, you won't be dissappointed.

Patriot
Old 05-27-2004, 06:08 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Epoxy & Microballoons will also work

Gary
Old 05-28-2004, 01:34 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Patriot - I never tried plastic wood on anything but wood because I didn't know it would stick to ABS. Bondo has worked for me in the past but it is labor intensive.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:45 AM
Patriot

Just make sure you sand the ABS a bit to scuff the surface. It sticks great to begin with, but it helps the filler to stick even better.

Patriot
Old 05-28-2004, 02:13 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Following the advice in a different thread, I dissolved some ABS scraps in acetone in a small screw top paint bottle. Took a day and all the pieces were melted down into a slurry. Took a stick and put some of this on an ABS piece, let it dry and it was a snap to sand and file down to match.

Worth a try anyway.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:32 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll give that a try. I actually gave up bondo a long time ago because of the hassle. I usually use Elmers Wood Filler, just cause it's easy, but it doesn't sand as smooth as bondo. Next time, I'll give DAP a try.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Dragonjohn
My Feedback: (5)

RE: ABS seam filler??? (in reply to Patriot) Report This Post | (Post No. 7)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following the advice in a different thread, I dissolved some ABS scraps in acetone in a small screw top paint bottle. Took a day and all the pieces were melted down into a slurry. Took a stick and put some of this on an ABS piece, let it dry and it was a snap to sand and file down to match.

Worth a try anyway.

I followed the same thread, used it on wheel pants, 2 cowlings and a pod for a seamaster it works great! now i keep a babyfood jar full and have robbed all of my friend ABS scraps. you can control the slurry buy adding acitone to thin out or let it stand open to thicken up. be carefull though it will skin over very quickly.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Patriot

The scrap plastic idea also sounds like it would work, if you happen to have a can of acetone nearby. Otherwise, get some at the local store, it is a common solvent.

How long can you work with it before it sets up?

Also, can it clean up with water?

No matter how hard I try with a stick to apply my filler, I always end up filleting and smoothing with my fingers.

That's why I like the water cleanup of plastic wood, because it washes right off.

Patriot
Old 05-28-2004, 06:47 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I haven't tried it yet, I'd guess that disolving scrap ABS in Acetone to make a paste would work very well. I'll be trying this next.
Dennis-
Old 05-29-2004, 12:29 PM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

You have to get used to working with rapidly drying solvents. Mine ABS comes out like a paste, but work it fast or it'll start hardening VERY quickly. Sands easy so you can glob on some, spread it around, put it outside to dry and work it in about 30 minutes (if you put it on thinnish). Water clean up - nope, but acetone cleans it up great off your fingers.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Patriot

That's kinda why I like DAP Plastic Wood. It gives you plenty of time to work it, even with your fingers if you want to really work it in and smooth it out. Then just wash your hands, etc.

Patriot
Old 05-29-2004, 05:46 PM
bhole74

"Bondo", actually I use Evercoat products, works great for me, but then again, I use them on a daily basis. A good filler primer with take care of the blemishes.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:35 PM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know if anyone mentioned this...but "Squadron" brand putty for plastic models works wonderfully for the ABS cowlings, and can be had at just about any hobby shop, and there's 2 different colors...there's a green that can blend in with the darker plastic models, and then the white, that most of us would use on the ABS cowlings.. it's very near exact to ABS sanding consistency, and dries very well, and can be painted to where it's totally undetectable as far as seams go. Try it.