Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Finding the CG?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Finding the CG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding the CG?

Help me please! I've got a Goldberg Buecker-Jungman and need to know where the CG is located.

Thanks!

LOOPMAN
Old 07-07-2002, 08:32 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finding the CG?

Loopman
Start about 1/2" behing the leading edge of the bottom wing. If it wants to land fast, start moving it back until you can slow the plane down to a comfortable landing speed and still maintain solid control without being sensitive.

You will probably end up about 1" to 1 1/2" back from the lower wing leading edge, but better to start on the safe side.

Silversurfer
Old 07-07-2002, 12:45 PM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questionable C G Location

Am working on a FF Quaker Flash from the 1930's. The "Balance Point" is noted as being about at the rear trailing edge. The engine, fuel tank, coil, landing gear, etc really hang out in front. The plans indicate to balance the A/C by moving the Burgess battery to the rear as much as necessary.

The W/S is 66", chord of 9" (flat bottom), area is at 543 S.I., over all length of 42 inches and weight of 2/14. Does not have a lifting stab, but it is big.

I think the Balance Point a bit too much to the rear. Should it be moved forward, (considering lighter weight late model equipment), or left as is?

Wm.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:44 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finding the CG?

I am not familiar with the "Quaker Flash". I don'y know if this is a mono plane or a bipe. Should it be a mono plane, start with your CG at about 25-27% of the wings average chord.
Silversurfer
Old 07-08-2002, 03:07 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default Finding the CG?

Go get last monthe issue of Model Airplane News there is a great article on how to figure CG, for Bi and mono wings.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Flying Scotsman

Default Try this web link

I haven't used it myself but it seems easy enough to just plug in the measurements and it will work out the CG for you.

Finding the Centre of Gravity

Steven