Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo Torque question?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo Torque question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 06:57 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Servo Torque question?

Another thread got me wondering about servo torque. Say brand "X" servo has 50 oz/in of torque, I would guess that is at the point on the arm that is 1" from the output shaft.
Question is, will the torque double at a point 1/2" from shaft, & be cut in half at 2" from the shaft? Is it linear or does it need to be calculated with some formula?
Old 06-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Servo Torque question?

You're pretty close. The torque won't double, but the holding power increases some.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:31 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Servo Torque question?

ORIGINAL: TLH101

Another thread got me wondering about servo torque. Say brand "X" servo has 50 oz/in of torque, I would guess that is at the point on the arm that is 1" from the output shaft.
Question is, will the torque double at a point 1/2" from shaft, & be cut in half at 2" from the shaft? Is it linear or does it need to be calculated with some formula?
I believe you mean force. The force is 50 ounces, or just over three pounds 1 inch away from the output shaft. At 1/2 inch away the force is double or 100 ounces (but the speed is 1/2 as fast). At 2 inches away the force is 1/2 or 25 ounces (but the speed is double).

The force generated at the end of the servo arm of various lengths is:

Force = Torque/distance

Force at 1 inch = 50/1 = 50 ounces
Force ar 1/2 inch = 50/.5 = 100 ounces
Force ar 2 inches = 50/2 = 25 ounces

The torque is always the same for any servo, it just generates different forces depending which hole you use on the servo arm. The more force it generates, the slower the control surface moves. The less force it generates, the faster the control surface moves. I haven't even gotten into the control horn distance. That's another question/topic.