Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fathers Day Gift: Need info quick!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fathers Day Gift: Need info quick!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Kemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fathers Day Gift: Need info quick!

I am gettin my stepdad a ARF along with a FX 61... What PERCENT of nitro should I get for this engine? I hear 0% but I want this engine to run SOUND for him. What fuel brand is also best?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:40 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Fathers Day Gift: Need info quick!

10% or 15% is just fine for an O.S. Max .61 FX. I would use a blend (castor/synthetic) but I am sure an all synthetic blend would run just fine also. (I don't want to start another castor oil debate here) 0% refered to as FAI fuel would not be the best choice for your new engine. Morgan Fuels (Omega and Cool Power), Wildcat and Byrons fuel would all be good choices.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:49 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I run 15% in all my glow stuff. I use PowerMaster because it's what the store has. Works fine for me. I've used WildCat in the past. Haven't noticed any differences... All prettymuch the same stuff.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:59 AM
TNRabbit

Higher nitro=more heat/higher rpms/lower fuel economy

Lower nitro=less heat/minor rpm drop/better fuel economy

My PERSONAL preference is lower (5%) nitro with hot glow plug. It's cheaper, extends the life of the engine, and raises fuel economy.

My $.02 worth
Old 06-14-2004, 10:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto, for a 2-stroke engine 5 to 10% nitro is plenty. I like Cool Power, but just about anything the LHS carries should do the trick.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:23 PM
voyager_663rd

used 5% forever.

also: using wildcat (syn), your engine exterior will stay sparkling clean whereas with omega (castor mix), it will get a "golden brown tan" from the castor burnoff. It's not harmful, just gives your engine a nice tan.

pros and cons of castor vs syn--not here. it's been beaten to death.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Kemo

I always run synthetics in my trucks with Blue Thunder. Only engine that I have used with blue thunder and its the only engine to surpass all my friends!

Is the Tower 60 trainer any good? So far I have my eyes on the Hobbistar for him but I still question the Tower Trainers.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Balsa Duster

While I have never flown a Tower .60 I have flown the .40 alot. Its a very stable plane perfect for learning. The hobbico is slightly less stable but more aerobatic then the tower. Also if something happens to a tower hobbies trainer while learning to fly tower will replace it provided your step dad learns at an AMA field with a certified instructor ( the only way to learn I repeat do not let him try it by himself if he has never flown before or else there will be many crashed planes)