Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultracote over Ultracote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultracote over Ultracote

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 04:54 PM
David_Moen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultracote over Ultracote

Not really a kit question, but please humor me!

I am trying to improve the visibility of my Ultra Stick Lite, it is covered largley with clear Ultracote. I want to add some fairly wide stripes of Ultracote. Any secrets to getting a good result?

I have done the same sort of thing with Monocote, and found that I got the best result by squeegieing on the trim colour with a mild solvent solution. I've been led to beleive that you can apply Ultracote over top of Ultracote with heat and acheive a nice result however.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:12 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ultracote over Ultracote

Hi David,

Personally, if it's a large area, I will remove the under coat and only leave about a 1/4' overlap if it's over a sheeted area or a 3/4" overlap if it's over an open area.

For smaller areas, I'll just poke a bazillion holes in the underside to let air escape.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:52 PM
David_Moen

Awwwww...you mean I can't just lay it over top, wave a heat gun in it's general direction and go for beer?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:50 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't have gas bubbling with Ultracote so punching holes is not totally necessary. But you could trap plain ole air under a large piece of trim Ultracote if you aren't careful. Therefore a relieve hole in the base covering might be OK to do.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:09 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

For wide stripes, you can use the soapy water and squeegee trick to get it positioned. Let it dry for a while and then go over it with an iron set at about 225 degrees. As long as you gotall the air out from under the stripe with the squeegee, there won't be any bubbles.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:05 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60.../tm.htm#603331

Monokote over Ultracote works well using the windex (or soapy water) method. I have put Ultracote over Ultracote using low heat and had good results, but not as good as Monokote over Ultracote.

The above link has some good info. Gator, who started the above thread said he did not have much luck with Ultracote using the windex method. Going over the Ultracote with an iron after the soapy water dries, like krossk suggested, may be the answer, but I have not tried it.

Eric