Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Loose monocote

Old 06-25-2004, 07:30 AM
Gary496

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose monocote

After crasing my trainer several times I have had to recover the front. Now I can't keep the covering on the the darn thing. I cleaned with acetone ,but to no avail. I am using Monocote and using high heat with my iron. It will seem to be stuck, but after a couple of flights it starts to peel. I know I could CA it down, but I rather not do that as if it (the plane) makes it though the summer I want to strip her down and recover. CA will be hard to strip. Suggestions please.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:41 AM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Loose monocote

If you're going to recover anyway at the end of the summer, just try clear packing tape over the seams.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:15 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

You could have fuel soaking the wood under the covering, and in that case Monokote doesn't stick well. Try cleaning the fuel out with one of the comercial products for that. Sometimes I've found Ultracote sticks better to slightly fuel soaked wood.

quint
Old 06-25-2004, 10:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After cleaning it as best you can, a coat of Balsarite will help the covering stick.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the wood has fuel in it, K2R works as well as regular talcum powder. Put it on the area(s), let it sit for a couple of hours and brush off. You will probably have to repeat this several times to get the fuel out of the wood. The apply a coat of balsarite to the wood.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Gary496

Thanks for the info, all. I guess I'll have to try on the next plane as I totalled the trainer yesterday. I did get some fly time on my Tiger 60 , so the day was not a complete loss.