Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How do I build my own Flying wire/Tail Brace?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How do I build my own Flying wire/Tail Brace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I build my own Flying wire/Tail Brace?

I need to support my tail and don't want to buy the Sullivan S546 Flying Wire kit, it's way too expensive if you ask me. Any good ideas on how I can get the same look and make it functional? My vertical fin really does need support!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:43 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: How do I build my own Flying wire/Tail Brace?

Get some of those solder-on wire connectors from radio shack. Solder in a pushrod wire, then bend the loops to the desired angle, drill a hole through the fin, and bolt one on each side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20117.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	147429  
Old 06-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Crash Master

I used 2-56 rod and metal clevis to make mine. Cut the part of the clevis off that has the pin and solder the remaining piece to the rod. Bend the clevis to shape and bolt together. Maybe I can post a couple of pics tomorrow that might help.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Lee MRC

Minflyer, The above sugesstion about the soder lugs is what I use but instead of control rods, which are expensive, I go to the music store and get the corect size unrapped gitar strings. These come in various diameters as determined by the note designation such as "e,b,g" with "g" being the largest of this group. The rest of the normal gitar strings are wrapped which is no problem but they are much stronger and heaver but with small differiences in in weight this should not be a problem. This is MUCH less expensive. Let us know if you take this route and how the work out for you. Thanks in advance for listing.

fly the airplane first,

Lee K5MRC