Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

WHERE I SEE ABOUT LARGE DISTANCE FLYING??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

WHERE I SEE ABOUT LARGE DISTANCE FLYING??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 09:10 PM
EL TEMUCANO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHERE I SEE ABOUT LARGE DISTANCE FLYING??

WITH SOME FRIENDS, WANT TO MAKE SOME RACE.
WE WANT TO GO ABOUT 65 MILES WITHOUT LANDING.

WHERE I CAN SEE OR LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT THEES??????????????

THANKS

SERGIO
Old 06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WHERE I SEE ABOUT LARGE DISTANCE FLYING??

Use a lot of common sense.
For the plane, test to find one that can be trusted to not be too active. A trainer style, limiting the flight motions to non-aerobatic.
Any good smallish.... .25 to .50 4-stroke engine with a 16 oz tank should fly a reasonably sized plane (500-750 sq.in.) for an hour.
Use a chase vehicle such as a pickup, with the pilot and a spotter in the securely and safely seated in the back, for a good around view of where the plane is and where it's going.
Use a road with little traffic, so a good speed.. 50 mph or so can be safely maintained.
This one with an OS .26 flew 55 miles in an hour, using 11 oz of fuel. Had it been flown a bit slower, it would have used a lot less fuel.
68" span, 578 sq.in. area, flying wt. 71 oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88484.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	148435  
Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 AM
EL TEMUCANO

thanks Tall Paul

I am in a mistake because i think i need a big airplane with a lot of fuel and a long chord.
if i have a LA 40 with 14oz i can fly ..............

You dont have ailerons and your wheels are thin, do you remember the weight of your plane?

Sergio
Old 06-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Tall Paul

Sergio, the plane with no fuel weighed 54 oz.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:13 AM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

I fly my Avistar in "Cross Country" events quite often. With a LA 40 and a 10 oz. tank I can keep it in the air for around 25 minutes, depending on the wind. We usually pick a course that is between 35 and 50 miles long and travel at between 40 and 50 mph. Of course, we do stop and refuel along the way, but I think with a lighter plane and the engine and fuel tank you are describing you should be able to get some decent flight time. Keep in mind that your batteries will need to be able to hold up that long as well.

T.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:47 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I fly a little 15 size wild thing cross country. Find a long empty road with no traffic, someone to drive, someone to video and a couple pilots and have a ball. I have done aerobatics right in front of us. Pretty fun, you just have to make sure you know what your doing so you don't run into the car. Don't get close. The car creates wind and the plane gets buffeted pretty bad if you get in too close. Stay a safe distance and have the camera guy as a spotter for cars and landing spots. Its great fun!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:00 AM
EL TEMUCANO

WE WANT TO GO BETWEEN PUERTO MONTT - OSORNO (IN THE SOUTH OF CHILE) , IS ABOUT 115 KMTS (75 MLS)
AND I HAVE TO BUILD SOME LOW COST PLANE, I THINK SOMETHING LIKE .40 LA WITH 2 TANK 14 OZ EACH ONE, I HAVE TO DESIGNED AN AERODINAMIC PLANE....
Old 06-30-2004, 10:21 AM
J_R

Here is a long article from Maynard Hill. His 5 Kg plane flew accross the Atlantic last year on one tank of fuel. He probably knows more about long distance flying of models than anyone alive.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/mhill/hillindex.htm
Old 06-30-2004, 10:45 AM
EL TEMUCANO

thees article is very nice, but i want to do somethin more "simple".

low cost - easy to build - 14 oz fuel - no giros - no satelital

Old 06-30-2004, 11:15 AM
J_R

Just don't use the high tech stuff. Since you will be able to control the plane from the ground, it won't be necessary to use satallites or GPS. The configuration of the plane should allow you to do what you are trying to accomplish.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:16 PM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

Are there any laws/rules/regulations that cover this sort of flying in the USA? I think it would be an extremely fun/challenging thing to do some sort of a long distance flight, but I don't want to forfeit my AMA insurance coverage, or get on the wrong side of the FAA.

Besides picking a low traffic route, staying in visual/radio range, and avoiding people/cars/property (and then hoping for the best) are there any other tips or suggestions people can offer? What do I tell that nice police officer who is curious exactly what I'm up to? Are there ways to do this so that I could be reasonably sure I'm not breaking any laws or regulations?

I'm not interested in tricks for "getting away with it" (my imagination works just fine) but rather I would like to know how to do it safely and legally.

Regards,

Curt.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Tall Paul

Curt, you pretty much list the guidelines.. common sense, obeying traffic laws, picking non-intrusive routes.
One AMA distance record was set between San Jose and Sepulveda Basin a couple of years back, which entailed much use of the freeway.
For just local stuff, finding a long enough route between start and finish might be no more than fly out, turn around, fly back.
A route with a safety zone where the plane can land safely at any time should be chosen. No extended flights over vast metropolitan areas..
Think about what to do with obstructions.. traffic, road repair, stop signs, signals, underpasses..
The Corona RC club out here ran an annual event with two classes.. a short-distance (50 miles) Sportsman, and an all-day flight, using a low-use road out in the desert at Baker CA. The all-day planes were limited to 64 oz (1/2 gallon) of fuel. The winners would typically fly over 300 miles on that fuel, which would be 6 laps on the course. Specialty planes dominated. In the sportsman class, practically anything worked.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:35 PM
EL TEMUCANO

Curt,

hear in Chile NOW we don´t have problem with the police, the routes is next to farms to an emergence, our problems are the towers of cellular or mobil "fons" . and you have the reason, its extremely fun.

the reason of my question is if somebody build some plane to thees? and learn some tips for the construction.,

we need a light, economic (fuel), but fast plane with 14 oz

Sergio
Old 07-01-2004, 01:12 AM
mikenlapaz

EL TEMUCANO Checkout Skyflyer's thread on X-country build he is doing. A larger plane than those mentioned here.

http://spadworld.net/viewtopic.php?t...=asc&start=100
Old 07-01-2004, 09:27 AM
EL TEMUCANO

THANKS, I HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION HERE....

SERGIO